Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

radio flyer wagon

me and my cousin have been talking about building a electric power wagon for using at large swapmeets. this spring we found a set of 24v electric power motors with a 3/4 keyway shaft and also had 4 bolt flange hubs that came with and will be using them for the back axle/wheels. motors are geared way down. with 24volts hook up to one motor they look to be gear to go about 5mph top speed,perfect motors came off a mobile scooter for a person. also will be using a twist speed control unit mounted at the end of the handle,so we can control the speed and if need to we can also change the sprockets. key switch will be use for off/on and forward and reverse

cousin doesn't have a good Camera, so i took some pictures today to post on the project. cousin just finish up most of the fab work on everything. still need to build the battery box that will mount in front of the motor and couple other small things and also will be replacing the front plastic wheels with steel rims. need to order some sealed bearings with a 1/2 inside dem# for the the front shaft. i purchase a complete mint condition radio flyer ATW off of craigslist for $40 bucks and will be still using the tires and tubes on a set of steel rims i purchase for a $1 a piece(4ea total) at a swapmeet.
    frame is built so the factory body bolt holes will still bolt up to the new frame.

we wanted the rear axle set up so it wound have a neutral. just in cast we had a problem with the motor/batterys...etc...
    the rear axle set came out of one of my complete $20 snowblower units that still ran good
    here is the parts still in the unit(yellow box)

now mockup in the wagon frame.

couple more pictures of the rolling frame and also next to a complete stock radio flyer ATW wagon. enjoy looking....
    i will try to post more pictures when finish.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    i can see why you would only go 5mph, i would be afraid to drive that with that steering

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    we don't want to go that fast. thats why we are using the speed control unit and different rear sprockets if need too. speed control unit will keep it down to walking speed or slower.........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    That.. Is awesome Perfect for swapmeets.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Hey, that's pretty cool.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    we finish up on couple other things in the last week and today.
    coated the inside of the wagon with bed linner material to keep things from sliding around and to help protect it too.

we ran couple test runs with it today with the speed control unit hook up. first test was just on dry pavement and the second test was up a small incline. we had to adjust couple things and then gave it a test run with over #200+ up small hills, dry pavement and yard. work real good. sorry no video of the weight test. weight test was one person on it/parts,motor,battery..etc....and the other controlling it......

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    How many watts is the motor? A very cool idea, would be great for the zoo here in OKC as it has some hills! I may have to make one! My knees are gone and walking is hard on them, pulling the radio flyer gets old fast! I took this last time and was approached by a zoo employee who said it was not only against the rules but the law as well! I explained that the law has already said it does fall well within the mobility scooter guidelines, but he called a sherrifs deputy posted there and he told the zoo dude it was in fact legal! Still my son and new girlfriend have to pull the kids in the wagon, and it gets heavy! Here is my scootaround vintage 2hp "mobility scooter" it will do 25mph once you build momentum! Keep posting your progress, it looks great!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    I think that wagon is cool.

I'd like to make a slightly larger version using a garden type cart with a seat right over the front wheels sort of like the old military "mule".

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    supernova, i believe the motor puts out just over 400 watts and then also go's thru a gear reduction that is built on it. originally it took two motors to push a person on a full size mobile scooter.

a 4inch wheel was bolted right to the hub. both ran when going forward and then one would turn off to allow it to steer left or right. just with one motor on the radio flyer project with over #200 pounds is still over kill with power. it will still pull real good. they do make even bigger motors,but then you start to get into larger batterys and no room for them. we would be lucky if we pulled #50 to #100 pounds at the most. we are going to make it so the wood sides come off too. these way we can lay something bigger across the wagon.
    supernova,a jackshaft setup with it geared way down on your scooter with your wagon hook to it would pull it all day. the only problem is your kid would have the exhaust from the motor pointing at him. make it so the the top speed would be 5-8 mph so you would know your clutch would be also lock up at that speed. giving you all that lowend torque to pull anything.
    Last edited by delray; 06-27-2010 at 12:15 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    cousin finish with the wagon and we gave it another test run and things seem to be working good, ecept for the twist throttle unit. so we will replace it with a thumb control unit and see how it go's

lockout for the resprocket (NEU/DRIVE)

and we had to make it kid tested neighbor kid(running it) and my little boy giving it a test run. what do you guys think. maybe radio flyer should build them...........

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast