Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Difference between clone and predator

My son and I are finally delving into our project mini bikes. I have a 7hp briggs for my 68 Rupp Roadster and a 3.5hp for my boys Scat Cat. Been looking into other options for engines. I'm in Canada so I guess Princess Auto is the equivalent of America's Harbour Freight. There is a 6.5hp and a 7hp I'm interested in. Do the parts interchange? Is there a big difference between the two? Is there more performance parts more readily available for one engine over the other? Just want to get this right the first time before spending some hard earned dollars. Which engine is preferred by most? Thanks in advance for the help.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Not sure what others will say but I would get the 208cc which looks like it's on sale. It has the 70mm bore as opposed to the 68mm bore of the 196cc. Not sure what other differences there would be besides piston size. Hopefully others will know more.

Just like the Predator you would be at a better starting point with a bigger engine than the standard 196 clone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Ok. I've been searching this site among other sites and still can't definitively decide which is best for a more performance oriented application. Looking for as much reliability as possible as well but I understand that it's a balance between fast and bulletproof. From what I've read on here, the briggs flat heads require a fair amount of wrenching compared to the honda/clone/predator. I've built a few small block chevys over the years. The aptitude towards the inner workings isn't an issue. Would rather make a decision based on what the best foundation is to build a reliable, budget oriented, torquey motor that can adapt to ongoing upgrades.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    What motors do we have to choose from here ? Quality wise a clone and predator are going to be in the same ball park . All the same upgrade parts are available for both . Both will hold up if you build them well

5. Thanks chipper, OND thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by trinik7597 View Post
    What motors do we have to choose from here ? Quality wise a clone and predator are going to be in the same ball park . All the same upgrade parts are available for both . Both will hold up if you build them well
    I think he is looking at Power Fist engines at Princess Auto. He needs to decide on getting the 196cc or the 208cc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by SAS289 View Post
    I think he is looking at Power Fist engines at Princess Auto. He needs to decide on getting the 196cc or the 208cc.
    "power fister" is what Ave calls them.....

8. Thanks TheDullCarbide thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    IMO right out of the box, you can't beat the predator Hemi. When you really get to doing a lot of work to the engine and the head, conventional heads have a bigger aftermarket than the Hemi does right now... That could change but it's going to take some time. Plus when you get to high spring pressures people have had the rocker mounts break smooth off.

Out of the box the Briggs animal engine would be the best but for price I'd suggest going predator Hemi head.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    What moto said...

The Briggs Animal would be the best. But for Price get a Predator Hemi.
    There is an amazing amount of go fast parts for the hemi. My suggestion is start with an ARC billet rod and ARC billet flywheel.
    From there the sky is the limit. Just like a car engine, cam, head, porting, big valves, valve springs, roller rockers, stroker kits etc.

A basic quick build on a Predator (called a stage 2) kit makes about 12hp. For $87 it is cheap hp plus comes with a bored out carb.

A Stage 3 makes about 13 to 15 hp but costs $210.
    Click here.
    212 Predator

JMO Danford1
    Last edited by danford1; 09-14-2017 at 05:12 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    SAS289 you're correct. It's either 196cc or 208cc. As far as I know The 212cc predator isn't available in Canada. Would predator parts fit on a 208cc. danfrord1, I wish parts were that cheap here. If I were to order them I'd get screwed at the border. If anyone knows where to get a predator motor in Canada that would be great!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Found one at Home Depot but its a 210cc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast