Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Jn amateur's high compression Mod 2 Hemi build

*Should read "An amateur's high compression Mod 2 Hemi build."
    I've yet to do an engine build thread, because some of these guys like Ole4, Trinik and a few others, just make me feel stupid. I try reading threads, but often get lost and or bored with all the technical jargon and mathematics. I feel like a hack in comparison, a tinkerer... Yet my motors have proven to be pretty​ fast and reliable so far. I'm​ building this motor for my buddy Jose who supplied the practically new Hemi and some gently used parts he got for a steal locally. He brought me, a stock length ARC billet rod, an ARC billet flywheel, a Mod 2 cheater cam and some 18lb Hemi springs.

I talked him into buying a milled Hemi head and some shorter Molly pushrods from my buddy Dan at Childish Concepts Racing.

This Hemi head was milled .075 but is otherwise stock. The NR racing chromoly pushrods are 5.440 in length...
    I replaced the bearing inserts in the ARC rod and knocked the governor gear off the crank.
    To my benefit, this Hemi crank won't require much clearancing for the cam if any at all. My Hemi was a different story...
    Due to my lack of proper measuring equipment, I use plasti-gauge to check for bearing clearances.
    A shade on the loose side (just between .051-.076) after torquing the cap and rod to the crank at 170 inch pounds, but everything is new, and nothing​ can be done about it really​, so I'm running with it.
    Since it's a new engine, I left the factory piston in it's hole and carefully worked around it as to not disturb the rings. I pulled out and installed the billet rod through the bottom...
    I then used my angle grinder and small carbide bit to open up the lower hole on the left in the .010 metal head gasket to fit the larger dowel pin on the Hemi block.
    Then torqued the milled Hemi head to the block at 19 foot pounds and installed some used 22lb springs from my blown Grayhound clone instead of my buddies supplied 18's.

I then inserted the Mod 2 cam in it's position at TDC before putting the sidecover back on and installing the ARC billet flywheel. I set coil gap around .040, doubling up .019 & .020 feeler guages and set valve lash at .002 then checked it all again after turning the motor over by hand twice. Tomorrow I will finish buttoning it up and run it. Try to include a little video...
    Last edited by Daniel Coop; 10-12-2017 at 12:24 AM.

2. Thanks Street Smart thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Good thing you changed the springs... From my experiences those 18's are junk and like to coil bind... Granted they would've been fine on the mod2 most likely.

Good build so far!

Rocker arm geometry looks good?

4. Thanks Daniel Coop thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Thinking the rod clearance is closer to .003" (.076mm x .03936" = .00299"), but I may be mistaken, looks good to me.

6. Thanks robert.kopitzki, Daniel Coop thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Very nice, Should be ~12.5:1 if the piston is ~0.020" in the hole. Eff CR~8.4 if I have the MOD2 cam specs right, perfect for pump gas.

8. Thanks Daniel Coop thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

91 octane pump gas with maximum compression was the plan for this motor all along. Time to add oil and gas and see how she cracks...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    cool build

12. Thanks Daniel Coop thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Sounds pretty good. Should be a nice strong motor & pull well. How many rpm's are you planning on turning it once it's in the frame, any idea?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    I'm hoping it's a solid 7,000 RPM motor... It's out of my hands at this point. My buddy just stuffed it in a Motovox MBX11 roller, so we'll see what he can do with it this Sunday.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    How'd it turn out? Are you running a clutch or TAV2?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast