Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by MJL View Post
    This will hurt his low end torque and increase his top speed. He can either make engine improvements for more power, or add a torque converter. If he is willing to make the necessary governor removal mods, he can regear for more torque (larger rear sprocket) without losing any top speed.
    Agree, I would either get a torque converter or do a governor removal mod and do a larger rear sprocket. A 60 tooth with the governor would be good. The governor removed with a 60 tooth and a torque converter would be sweet though.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by tlizard2 View Post
    No Replacement For Displacement!

Exactly! Get a V-twin. Chunk these little 200cc motors.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    What size sprocket comes on the rear?
    Wouldn't a larger sprocket be better for top speed and a smaller sprocket better for lower end torque?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by MolonLabe420 View Post
    What size sprocket comes on the rear?
    Wouldn't a larger sprocket be better for top speed and a smaller sprocket better for lower end torque?
    Nah itís the opposite

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    The rear sprocket is a 50 tooth. The motor is a 10 and there isn't much of a selection for any thing else for clutch. I found an 11 tooth clutch but it's about $100 and would do the opposite. The Jack shaft after that is a 20 tooth on motor side. On opposite side is a 10 tooth and finally a 50 at the rear. It makes for a total of 10:1 gear ratio. I believe the 60 would make it a 12:1. Someone correct me if I am wrong as I am not the greatest at math but I think you divide 10/12 which gives you 83 meaning there should be 17% more torque with 60 tooth over a 50 right? If so that's a pretty good jump in torque.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    A 60 on the rear will give you a nice bump in torque and a governed top speed of around 19 mph. But nothing compared to a torque converter, even with the stock rear sprocket. With the torque converter and stock sprocket, you will start with a 15:1 or so and finish with 5:1.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadPixel View Post
    The rear sprocket is a 50 tooth. The motor is a 10 and there isn't much of a selection for any thing else for clutch. I found an 11 tooth clutch but it's about $100 and would do the opposite. The Jack shaft after that is a 20 tooth on motor side. On opposite side is a 10 tooth and finally a 50 at the rear. It makes for a total of 10:1 gear ratio. I believe the 60 would make it a 12:1. Someone correct me if I am wrong as I am not the greatest at math but I think you divide 10/12 which gives you 83 meaning there should be 17% more torque with 60 tooth over a 50 right? If so that's a pretty good jump in torque.
    Not sure about all the calculations but you could try swapping out the clutch sprocket for a bigger one like 14 tooth

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Many are satisfied with the stock gearing plus a TAV. Others weren't because of the TAV's overdrive function limiting RPM's at top speed. There were a couple guys in the Coleman group who geared to 7:1+ by adding a 72 tooth rear sprocket for their final drive.

In my opinion a good starting point with a TAV would be 10 tooth and a 60 tooth. Then if you still want more (RPM's at top speed) get a 9 tooth.

I do not have a TAV. My thinking is based on what others have said and done to these Coleman's.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ben_vayner View Post
    Not sure about all the calculations but you could try swapping out the clutch sprocket for a bigger one like 14 tooth
    I don't think they make a 14 tooth for the 420 chain sprockets. I have only found 10 tooth and 1, 11 tooth that was aver $100. If the sprocket for the jack shaft on motor side could be swapped for a 35 chain sprocket it would allow for a lot more freedom in gear changes using a clutch but don't know if that is an option. Would not be cost effective anyways as by the time you bought the sprocket and a new clutch you might as well bought an Ebay torque converter. I have not looked for gears for my torque converter but believe there are a few options.

I have not bought the 60 tooth rear yet but plan this my self. My complaint with my bike is the lack of torque and a little top speed. Expecting the torque converter and 60 tooth is going to be a good set up.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123