Register

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29
  1. #21
    Senior Member DeadPixel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Moses lake
    Posts
    510
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by MJL View Post
    This will hurt his low end torque and increase his top speed. He can either make engine improvements for more power, or add a torque converter. If he is willing to make the necessary governor removal mods, he can regear for more torque (larger rear sprocket) without losing any top speed.
    Agree, I would either get a torque converter or do a governor removal mod and do a larger rear sprocket. A 60 tooth with the governor would be good. The governor removed with a 60 tooth and a torque converter would be sweet though.

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    379
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by tlizard2 View Post
    No Replacement For Displacement!

    Exactly! Get a V-twin. Chunk these little 200cc motors.

  3. #23
    Member MolonLabe420's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    SE PA
    Posts
    68
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    0
    What size sprocket comes on the rear?
    Wouldn't a larger sprocket be better for top speed and a smaller sprocket better for lower end torque?

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Staten Island, New York
    Posts
    107
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by MolonLabe420 View Post
    What size sprocket comes on the rear?
    Wouldn't a larger sprocket be better for top speed and a smaller sprocket better for lower end torque?
    Nah itís the opposite

  5. #25
    Senior Member DeadPixel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Moses lake
    Posts
    510
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    0
    The rear sprocket is a 50 tooth. The motor is a 10 and there isn't much of a selection for any thing else for clutch. I found an 11 tooth clutch but it's about $100 and would do the opposite. The Jack shaft after that is a 20 tooth on motor side. On opposite side is a 10 tooth and finally a 50 at the rear. It makes for a total of 10:1 gear ratio. I believe the 60 would make it a 12:1. Someone correct me if I am wrong as I am not the greatest at math but I think you divide 10/12 which gives you 83 meaning there should be 17% more torque with 60 tooth over a 50 right? If so that's a pretty good jump in torque.

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    205
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    0
    A 60 on the rear will give you a nice bump in torque and a governed top speed of around 19 mph. But nothing compared to a torque converter, even with the stock rear sprocket. With the torque converter and stock sprocket, you will start with a 15:1 or so and finish with 5:1.

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Staten Island, New York
    Posts
    107
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadPixel View Post
    The rear sprocket is a 50 tooth. The motor is a 10 and there isn't much of a selection for any thing else for clutch. I found an 11 tooth clutch but it's about $100 and would do the opposite. The Jack shaft after that is a 20 tooth on motor side. On opposite side is a 10 tooth and finally a 50 at the rear. It makes for a total of 10:1 gear ratio. I believe the 60 would make it a 12:1. Someone correct me if I am wrong as I am not the greatest at math but I think you divide 10/12 which gives you 83 meaning there should be 17% more torque with 60 tooth over a 50 right? If so that's a pretty good jump in torque.
    Not sure about all the calculations but you could try swapping out the clutch sprocket for a bigger one like 14 tooth

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    584
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    0
    Many are satisfied with the stock gearing plus a TAV. Others weren't because of the TAV's overdrive function limiting RPM's at top speed. There were a couple guys in the Coleman group who geared to 7:1+ by adding a 72 tooth rear sprocket for their final drive.

    In my opinion a good starting point with a TAV would be 10 tooth and a 60 tooth. Then if you still want more (RPM's at top speed) get a 9 tooth.

    I do not have a TAV. My thinking is based on what others have said and done to these Coleman's.

  9. #29
    Senior Member DeadPixel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Moses lake
    Posts
    510
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ben_vayner View Post
    Not sure about all the calculations but you could try swapping out the clutch sprocket for a bigger one like 14 tooth
    I don't think they make a 14 tooth for the 420 chain sprockets. I have only found 10 tooth and 1, 11 tooth that was aver $100. If the sprocket for the jack shaft on motor side could be swapped for a 35 chain sprocket it would allow for a lot more freedom in gear changes using a clutch but don't know if that is an option. Would not be cost effective anyways as by the time you bought the sprocket and a new clutch you might as well bought an Ebay torque converter. I have not looked for gears for my torque converter but believe there are a few options.

    I have not bought the 60 tooth rear yet but plan this my self. My complaint with my bike is the lack of torque and a little top speed. Expecting the torque converter and 60 tooth is going to be a good set up.

 

 
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •