Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

6.5 HP Predator HELP :(

Hey guys, the is my first post on any forum so forgive me if Im not doing something right. Anyway, I have a Predator 212 that I just recently installed a billet flywheel on and also a mikuni carb. After getting everything installed and double checking, I can't get the engine to start. I double checked that the coil gap was set correctly, and it was. I figured it must be something with the carb, but I don't even know where to start as all the videos and things I've seen show that the predator normally stars right up with the mikuni. The one thing I noticed is that SOMETIMES when trying to start it, it backfires out of the exhaust. Any advice or ideas you guys have would be great as I'm pretty new this stuff.

EDIT: Don't know if you guys need it, but here are the mods I have done: Governor removed, high flow exhaust, 18lb springs, mikuni carb, billet flywheel and I think that's it.
    Last edited by mjB; 05-09-2018 at 08:10 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by mjB View Post
    Hey guys, the is my first post on any forum so forgive me if Im not doing something right. Anyway, I have a Predator 212 that I just recently installed a billet flywheel on and also a mikuni carb. After getting everything installed and double checking, I can't get the engine to start. I double checked that the coil gap was set correctly, and it was. I figured it must be something with the carb, but I don't even know where to start as all the videos and things I've seen show that the predator normally stars right up with the mikuni. The one thing I noticed is that SOMETIMES when trying to start it, it backfires out of the exhaust. Any advice or ideas you guys have would be great as I'm pretty new this stuff.

EDIT: Don't know if you guys need it, but here are the mods I have done: Governor removed, high flow exhaust, 18lb springs, mikuni carb, billet flywheel and I think that's it.
    Your build seems good but I would suggest a billet rod if you can.

I would go simple and change the spark plug first. Even though it may spark outside the engine, it may not have the guts to spark under 130PSI. The stock plugs are trash anyway. Go with a name brand like Champion or Autolite. I'm slighted to NGK.

Did you line up the dots on the cam and crank putting it together? Is the flywheel key in there?

Next try a little bit of starting fluid. If everything is right internally it should fire.

3. Thanks OND thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    I'll order a billet rod soon, and I forgot to mention I already have an autolite plug in there but I can replace it. Cam and crank we're lined up, flywheel key is in. It ran before I changed the flywheel and carb with all the mods. I'll try a new spark plug and some starting fluid and keep you posted. Is it possible the carb just needs adjusting?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    If you have the Autolite plug it should be fine. For what I know, the Mikuni's choke is an extra very rich circuit, not a butterfly. You could try putting a rag over the intake to start it. Just make sure it doesn't get sucked in.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Two other things to check, the low oil sensor and the kill switch. You can disconnect them to eliminate a problem with either that may be causing the no start. But if you are getting an occasional backfire I'd be with Dull Carbide and take a shot with a new plug.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by EVOL Tweety Bird View Post
    Two other things to check, the low oil sensor and the kill switch. You can disconnect them to eliminate a problem with either that may be causing the no start. But if you are getting an occasional backfire I'd be with Dull Carbide and take a shot with a new plug.
    Those are common things that come up during troubleshooting. My question is why would anyone run with a low oil sensor and an engine mounted kill switch on a mini bike? The kill switch should be mounted on the handlebar. The kill switch is there to turn off the engine, including in an emergency situation like a stuck throttle.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by SAS289 View Post
    Those are common things that come up during troubleshooting. My question is why would anyone run with a low oil sensor and an engine mounted kill switch on a mini bike? The kill switch should be mounted on the handlebar. The kill switch is there to turn off the engine, including in an emergency situation like a stuck throttle.
    I piggy back my bar mounted switch off the stock one so it has two....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bye Felicia!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Yea, been there before and it's really scary
    Quote Originally Posted by SAS289 View Post
    Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk