• Stock cam w/out governor

2 25.00%
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Yeah, I thought it had a lot of nuggets of wisdom, in helping to understand why one cam performs differently from another. Makes selecting an appropriate cam for your needs a lot easier.

2. Thanks TheDullCarbide thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Coop View Post
    I won't even pretend to act like I understand cam technology enough to tell you how a cam with less lift and duration seems to pull the same as one with more of both, but it does. It seems to be a smoother more consistent powerband across the entire RPM range. They are quite similar in performance somehow and have the same max target RPM and both recommend the use of larger carbs. I couldn't honestly tell you that one was better than the other.
    Russell at NR's info sort of answers why the CL-220 would have a wider powerband, since it has a 105 ICL on the intake & 111 on the exhaust, while the CM has a 108 ICL on both. It is set up to have a wider range, regardless of the lift & duration differences.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Ive used the Black Mamba Jr low end torque cam and also the Black Mamba Sr with great results, 275 lift cams. I just installed a dyno cams 308 cam this evening and have yet to see how it rides...

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    I recently swapped out a CS grind cam for the 308 in one of my 212's myself. That's a nice cam... It too, has the same twin 108 ICL's as the CM grind cam but a little more duration, and a lot more lift. Although I don't have personal experience with the Mamba SR, the 308 should have a little more top end. I'm digging the 308 so far. It's got a pretty wide power band and is easy on the valve train. Im now upgrading to a GX390 carb, because my bored stock carb is now reaching it's limits. I'm considering swapping out my JR for a SR, in another 212 because it runs out of steam a little sooner than I'd prefer, but I'm torn because I love the brute torque of the JR. I've cheated with billet 1.3 ratio rockers from the beginning, so I don't know what the cam was intended to feel like, but with those rockers, the SR could be even more potent than the 308, with around .357 lift and about the same duration.
    Last edited by Daniel Coop; 01-06-2018 at 02:32 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Coop View Post
    I recently swapped out a CS grind cam for the 308 in one of my 212's myself. That's a nice cam... It too, has the same twin 108 ICL's as the CM grind cam but a little more duration, and a lot more lift. Although I don't have personal experience with the Mamba SR, the 308 should have a little more top end. I'm digging the 308 so far. It's got a pretty wide power band and is easy on the valve train. Im now upgrading to a GX390 carb, because my bored stock carb is now reaching it's limits. I'm considering swapping out my JR for a SR, in another 212 because it runs out of steam a little sooner than I'd prefer, but I'm torn because I love the brute torque of the JR. I've cheated with billet 1.3 ratio rockers from the beginning, so I don't know what the cam was intended to feel like, but with those rockers, the SR could be even more potent than the 308, with around .357 lift and about the same duration.
    Shame you can't get the original Black Mamba...

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDullCarbide View Post
    Shame you can't get the original Black Mamba...
    Sure I can... I know a guy who knows a guy.

8. Thanks TheDullCarbide thanked for this post

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678