H35 gaskets

fhpe77

Hello all,

So I have my year 2000 H35-45536Y engine running pretty good. The replacement adjustable carb makes it easy to tune. One of the things I like to do with an old flat head engine is to pull the head and valve cover off to inspect the cylinder wall, remove all carbon build-up, and check the valve/tappet clearance. Finding the correct gasket set is driving me nuts...okay wait, I'm already nuts...it's driving me nuttier. :smile:

So far I have found these sets:

33238D

33233A

Which one is the correct one? I know Briggs has some "valve" gaskets sets that include the head gaskets valve cover gaskets for their flat heads. Is there Tecumseh "valve" gasket sets available or do you have to piece them together? Since prices are cheap for full gaskets sets I'd be okay with that as well since I like having some spares on hand. Any help regarding the matter would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-Ray

Last edited:

bandit 40

Ray , Im not quite sure which one you need that you got listed but if you PM me your address Ill put a head gasket in the mail for you and you can try it out if it works its yours. I got plenty on hand :thumbsup: Mark Happy Holidays !!

fhpe77

Bandit, thank you for the generous offer. I'm also in need of some valve cover gaskets. By studying the pictures on partstree and comparing them to pics of an open 33233 kit, they appear to be the same. I found an ebay seller selling two NOS 33233 kits for a great price. I will grab them and report back once I get them in hand and get the engine pulled apart. If these gaskets are wrong then I will take you up on your offer. Thanks again! :smile:

-Ray

Partstree shows 36439 as the "set" that you need. Although it sounds like all you need is a good head gasket and a couple valve cover gaskets [url="https://www.partstree.com/parts/tecumseh/parts/27234a/]27234A[/url].

That 33238D number you listed is for vertical shaft engines. It probably has the couple gaskets you need but no sense paying for extra stuff that won't fit your engine. :thumbsup:

bandit 40

Bandit, thank you for the generous offer. I'm also in need of some valve cover gaskets. By studying the pictures on partstree and comparing them to pics of an open 33233 kit, they appear to be the same. I found an ebay seller selling two NOS 33233 kits for a great price. I will grab them and report back once I get them in hand and get the engine pulled apart. If these gaskets are wrong then I will take you up on your offer. Thanks again! :smile:

-Ray
:thumbsup:

fhpe77

Thanks for the p/n's Minikenny. I did just grab the two NOS 33233 kits on ebay. The price was right. :smile: This is what it looks like:

33233.jpg

And another pic of the package:

33233_package.jpg

Hopefully these will do and I will be left with plenty of spares. :smile:

-Ray