Honda gx160 questions

Davis

I'm installing a gx160 in a cat 400x and my questions are I bought a stage one kit from OldMiniBikes and I'm not sure about installing the advanced timing key as I've heard the gx160 was already advanced and dunno if I should use the 140 emulsion tube in it or stay stock and I am installing #18 valve springs in it also I'm not tryin to make a hot rod just goin for a decent pavement pounder.

Davis

When you start spinning enough rpms to warrant a billet flywheel .. so in my opinion never
I got ya and I probably will do more to this motor as far as rod and flywheel and remove governor etc but for now I'm not but when I do would you use the 8 degree key where the gx160 is already advanced or get a 4 degree and I really don't know what advancing the timing does for you anyways can you give me some insight please?

trinik7597

If you add a billet flywheel the advance is built in . Raceseng 28° arc 32° and ambush 34° . The advance is to help the engine fire at the right time @ high rpms in lamens terms

Davis

If you add a billet flywheel the advance is built in . Raceseng 28° arc 32° and ambush 34° . The advance is to help the engine fire at the right time @ high rpms in lamens terms
Thanks buddy I sure appreciate. One more question I did another bike recently and put a new gx200 in it and a stage one kit and it's not very fast outta the hole could the 140 emulsion tube I put in make a low end bog and I do live at 7000ft elevation if that helps.

Davis

Did you add any timing to the gx200?
Yes I put a billet flywheel on it 32 degrees advanced but now I'm having jetting issues the racing plugs I bought don't show any color and it seems I'm jetted to fat but can't get plug color.

Davis

You using an autolite plug I take it ? Switch to an NGK
I am yes and what ngk plug is correct because I can't get any color on the autolite with two mild motors and am jetted clear to 40 on both and no air leaks they both start and idle great.

trinik7597

Bp6res ... I can tell you a 40 jet is too big ... The way you. Red to read the plug is start the motor with the new plug in it .. do not let it idle .. run it hard till motor comes up to temp then kill it .. no idle time !! Pull the plug and check it .. 37 is probably where you are going to wind up . You may want to increase the pilot jet as well

Davis

Bp6res ... I can tell you a 40 jet is too big ... The way you. Red to read the plug is start the motor with the new plug in it .. do not let it idle .. run it hard till motor comes up to temp then kill it .. no idle time !! Pull the plug and check it .. 37 is probably where you are going to wind up . You may want to increase the pilot jet as well
Both pilots are at #18 both are bored 650 carbs from nrracing and that is how I ran it to check the plugs.

Davis

I didn't know it was a bored carb .... You may need to go larger on the main if that's the case
I've been up to 42 jets but I think I'm gonna get the other plugs and start over because I wouldn't think it needs much more at my elevation at 7000ft

Davis

When you pull the plug,what are you looking for? And at what part of the plug?
I'm looking for a tan ceramic and these are as bright white as they were new after a wot run and shut down and check I know how to read plugs just these plugs are either weird or I'm lean.