Rear shock questions

The rear shock/springs I used in my build off bike seem to be extremely stiff....ass rattling stiff. I have no idea what make or rating they have, but the spring wire is .300" in diameter, and I can't compress them more than about 1/2" even when I jump on it. I've been looking at replacements, and I just wanna make sure I don't make a mistake, again. I've been looking at the ones on the OldMiniBikes site, SKU: AZ_1700-15, that are rated at 450lbs. Can anyone tell me what the spring wire diameter is?

I'm interested in this also. Can you change the angle of the mounts and change the leverage on the shock to make it work easier?

Some shocks do have a pound rating but what is the correct way of figuring the weight? Is that rating the max just before it explodes or it's working weight?

Great info! Tho it begs even more questions, lol. If the bike weighs 200lbs, rider is 200, 1/2 the weight is on the rear, divided by the number of shocks (2), if the shock is mounted over the axle, does that mean each shock should have load rating of 100lbs? That would vary depending on the shock mount placement due to leverage? Should top and bottom shock mount be in an arch equal to the swing arm travel?

From my understanding with dual coil overs each shock should be half of the target. From personal experience I would aim for a bit softer. That also depends on the design and you can get into a lifetime of debate on that. Just pop into any pro touring auto forum and sneak a peek into suspension design, see just about every thread turns into a heated debate.

Those are the ones to get^^^^^^^
Over the last few years my son and I have purchased several sets from them.
Michael
They are the same ones and the same company FOMOGO posted. Just his link are on their ebay account. The price is the same but their company site uses a shipping calculator vs a flat rate like ebay. For me (YMMV) its a few bucks cheaper shipping using the site.

I got the shocks today and couldn't wait to get them on. The shocks I used on the build were 11" eye to eye, but I was smart enough to add another mounting hole for 12" shocks just in case I ran into a problem like this. ( It pays to think ahead for future options)
All I can say is WOW! did it ever make a difference! Now when I set down, they compress about 3/4".....before it was no compression.
I notice a lot less vibrations through the seat and potholes don't throw me over the handlebars.
Thanks Doug, for the t tip!

Jim, they state those shocks were made for the discontinued (POS) Raven MPV mower. Those look to be about 740 pounds. The shocks have a 2.5" travel or so. I wouldn't hesitate to give them a try for a larger bike if the overall parameters were suitable. It's not much travel, and it's not much of a shock, but it is probably more than adequate for a heavier bike. They're probably too stiff for a lighter bike, or a seat spring affair like the Cat 400 series- but probably superior to an original Sebac.

Jim, they state those shocks were made for the discontinued (POS) Raven MPV mower. Those look to be about 740 pounds. The shocks have a 2.5" travel or so. I wouldn't hesitate to give them a try for a larger bike if the overall parameters were suitable. It's not much travel, and it's not much of a shock, but it is probably more than adequate for a heavier bike. They're probably too stiff for a lighter bike, or a seat spring affair like the Cat 400 series- but probably superior to an original Sebac.
I was thinking of a pair of them for my forks I'll be putting on my "Porker Gote". The site says they are a lighter spring rate then the 1720's mentioned earlier. For under 10 bucks I can't believe the dampening is very much, but at least it has some. I'll volunteer to be the Beta tester, lol.

Last edited:
I got these on my forks. See my build on the "Jimmy Gote". real soft. I started by clamping them 1/2 way on the front swing arm. without the motor, they bottomed out when I sat on it. I have them about over the axle for a 1 to 1 leverage and they seem a bit soft. I will see how they do on a test ride. For a smaller bike I think they would do fine. They do have a noticeable dampening effect. I still have the spring preload on the softest setting so I may be ok. 2 1/2 inches of travel isn't the greatest, but more than a lot of old mini's had. Hopefully it will keep me from being a poster boy for Preparation H.