Newbie mini bike guy with questions

Hello all,

I'm contemplating buying a mini bike for restoration or buying a brand new kit as a winter project for me and my sons to work on together. Vintage bikes seem to bring more money than the readily available new kits that I'm finding. Are there any pros or cons to buying a new kit VS an old vintage frame? Any makes or models to avoid? I'm just looking for something simple that will go maybe 25mph for us to use as a pit bike as well as riding around our yard.

Thanks in advance.

CSR

Greetings and welcome..i researched kits when got into this hobby and concluded way expensive buying every single part needed and quality not there.I say pick vintage bike off craigslist if you don't mind hunting down parts, striping down frame and spending alot if you're heart is in it.....I'm a buyer latemodel type bikes like doodlebugs putting bigger engines on em...put a 5 hp engine unless you want raw power of a predator 212 which may be too much for kids ..unless throttle screw is used to lessen power .predator powered db30s are either wheelie machines and scary fast if geared high to tame power... may be too much ...just my take on it..it will be fun for sure.:laugh:

My son and I found 2 old solid minibikes frames on facebook marketplace. Got great deal on the predator 212cc and the 79cc engine. Both engines are stock and the 212cc wheelies and so far has top speed of 43mph. The smaller 79cc has more torque and a top speed so far of 28mph. For off road use we average around 8-12mph on both engines and they are able to handle the terrain just fine. The 212 will plow you thru while the 79cc will pull you thru. A good brake is critical for the 212cc engine. Well thats all I got.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thanks for the input everyone. lilmikey20, you answered my next question. I was contemplating the 212 and the 79 engines but was apprehensive about a "slow" pitbike using the bigger 212. Sounds like the 79cc engine will be the way to go for our needs.

Thanks for the input everyone. lilmikey20, you answered my next question. I was contemplating the 212 and the 79 engines but was apprehensive about a "slow" pitbike using the bigger 212. Sounds like the 79cc engine will be the way to go for our needs.
The shaft of the 79cc is not 3/4 of an inch(like the 212cc) but is either 16mm (older models) or 5/8ths (newer models) and uses a #35 chain. Honestly I do not think a #35 chain is strong enough to withstand the off road terrain. (I have blown up 4 chains already on off road use.)
If you are riding on pavement then it will work just fine.
I just ordered a 10 tooth 5/8ths #40/41 clutch and a 60 tooth sprocket to go with. They arrive on friday and will try them out over the weekend to see how well they hold up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

IMG_20170709_023002.jpg ... https://youtu.be/yrJHE83NXLw. This is my doodle bug 2.5 raw hp :laugh: 97cc w a pmr jackshaft so it was able to pull 190lbs me around the lawn..mostly for the kids haha..me too it's silly fun and does about 18 mph w the even lower gear a bought..the pmr jackshaft usually does about 22 or so mph without buying a smaller sprocket i did..enjoy the vid.. go ahead an laugh..i do..