Please help identify

copyman

Hi,

Can I get some info on this? The guy I got it from said he bought it from a drunk. He thinks it is a Rupp? And i had to ask was he drunk when he attempted to paint/primer the bike:eek:. What was he thinking! There was black tape on handlebars which kept them really clean-no rust. There isn't much rust on bike except a little on seat. Hopefully can get the paint/primer off the tires, shocks, etc. Also can dents in gas tank be fixed?

If it is a Rupp where does it fall in how hard to get parts, etc?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

1971_MB1A

Hi,

Can I get some info on this? The guy I got it from said he bought it from a drunk. He thinks it is a Rupp? And i had to ask was he drunk when he attempted to paint/primer the bike:eek:. What was he thinking! There was black tape on handlebars which kept them really clean-no rust. There isn't much rust on bike except a little on seat. Hopefully can get the paint/primer off the tires, shocks, etc. Also can dents in gas tank be fixed?

If it is a Rupp where does it fall in how hard to get parts, etc?

Thanks in advance for any help.
It looks to be a 1970 Rupp.

copyman

Thanks for the replies so far.

Are all Rupp's this small? I just moved into my garage next to Hilltopper. Compared to my Hilltopper it looks like it's made for a small kids.

Good to know about engine. I was thinking about putting an extra Hilltopper TEC 5 HP on it but after seeing how small it is makes sense only a 3.5 HP was on it.

Also guy gave be a box of original Rupp parts. Think the original kickstand, a few axles, jackshafts, chains, sprockets, etc etc. haven't had time to go through all of it.

Appreciate any other info / comments.

Thanks again

Are all Rupp's this small? I just moved into my garage next to Hilltopper. Compared to my Hilltopper it looks like it's made for a small kids.

Thanks again
That year was the 10" wheel verses the later 12" wheel so to me they seem smaller...

mustangfrank

Good to know about engine. I was thinking about putting an extra Hilltopper TEC 5 HP on it but after seeing how small it is makes sense only a 3.5 HP was on it.

Also guy gave be a box of original Rupp parts. Think the original kickstand, a few axles, jackshafts, chains, sprockets, etc etc. haven't had time to go through all of it.

Thanks again
You can fit an H engine in there but it really is designed for an HS with a diaphragm carb or slant intake.

Parts are plentiful.

copyman

More good info.

Not sure if going to restore now that I see how small it is. I know they are "mini" bikes but I got spoiled with bigger Hilltopper. Just more comfortable for an adult. If I put the time in to restore a bike I want to be able to ride it. Unless of course you come across a very hard to find small bike then restoring might be worth it.

Thanks again

joshua. c.

black widdow motorsports has lots of reproduction parts for this bike. and parts can be found on ebay sometimes at high prices, sometimes not depending on the seller and the rarity of the part. mini bike swap meets are one of the best places to find parts for these. the Windber mini bike reunion in Windber PA is chocked full of rupp parts.

copyman

Thanks going to check out Winber.

Also been going to outdoor flea markets around where I live and found some interesting minbike stuff.

Even though not a mini bike I picked up the motorized bike in picture. I guess it's a Moped? 2 stroke Made in West Germany around 1977. Guy at flea market said it sat in open yard not covered for 30+ years. The orig paint and front chrome fender actually held up good for being in the NE weather all those years.
Couldn't pass up the price even though in rough shape. My wife said I officially turned into Fred Sanford, Junk Dealer! (ole timers here will know Sanford & son TV show) Lol.

Not sure what I'm going to do with it. No way getting involved with 2 stroke eng! Probably part it out. It was really cool looking back when new (see pics). The chrome sides of gas tank was cool.

Take care

Attachments

toomanytoys

Hill topper was built more as an adult use minibike. The rupps of this style were for kids.

I used to ride my black widow all the time. It was always super comfortable.

20200312_143917.jpg

Love the Hill toppers...here is mine

copyman

Wow! That has to be one of the nicest Hilltoppers I've ever seen in pictures or live! What condition did you get it in? Did you restore and paint it? Mind me asking what paint you used? Think it was on this forum someone posted the Hilltopper used same paint as 1970's Chrysler Imperial (gold leaf) but just doesn't look right. I painted the chain guard & front fender and just doesn't look same as original color under the seat. Your color looks closer.
Did you get the Nelson muffler & other parts re-chromed?

Your Hilltopper looks to be 100% correct except the shocks, foot pegs, gas cap, and cant see but maybe grips / throttle, & tires? Also looks like you have another Hilltopper? I also have 2 Hilltoppers and one extra rebuilt engine (H50 65286H)

My one Hilltopper is correct except the shocks. I have one good original Sebac shock looking to buy 1 more to make it 100% correct. Let me know if you have one to sell? Will trade both good adjustable shocks (same as on your bike) for ONE original. Or will trade a CAT 99 driver clutch unit (see pic) for just ONE original shock.

Take care

IMG_1051.jpg .

Attachments

Last edited:

toomanytoys

Yours looks pretty good. I have way too many hours invested into this bike. It's been ridden once since it was completed. Ran up and down the road a few times then the gas was drained and it was put in the shed with the rest of the show pieces..on the far left you can see the front tire of the super bronc as well.

Just polished the shiny bits again. I bought it off a member here in 2009. It was painted a nasty yellow color but complete.

Tires are original. Foot pegs not sure they are the same as my other hill topper. Shocks, and grips were bought off eBay. Levers are NOS. All the lights work as they should.

Motor is a proper lighted H50. Even using the original cat99 tav.

Color...I have no clue. Got bronze paint at tractor supply a few years ago. Dad said it looked close. He always said the oem color was fire mist bronze.

I have the original manuals from my dad's when he was a kid.

copyman

Haha. I thought that was another Hilltopper. I see you like "man" toys with fat tire Bronc & Hilltopper. Looking at your foot pegs closer they are probably original. The original have a rounded end plate that got dented all the time. Just realized the picture I posted was before I put the original pegs on.

Nice to see the person you got it from took care of it and wasn't left outside. The chrome is hardest to bring back from rust. Good thing the metal & tubing for frames back in 70's was most likely good ole American made steel. If you leave the crap metal they use now a days outside for 40+ years it would be a pile of rust powder!

By the way, does your Hilltopper H50 carb have the word "automagic" on it? Out of 3 original Hilltopper H50 engines 2 carbs have it, the engine which came off a correct bike had a carb with a drain and same white paint as engine but no automagic. Hilltopper manual shows carb with the drain so I was assuming it was the correct carb until I got the other 2 engines which have "automagic" on them. Now confused.

Thanks

Last edited:

toomanytoys

Haha. I thought that was another Hilltopper. I see you like "man" toys with fat tire Bronc & Hilltopper. Looking at your foot pegs closer they are probably original. The original have a rounded end plate that got dented all the time. Just realized the picture I posted was before I put the original pegs on.

Nice to see the person you got it from took care of it and wasn't left outside. The chrome is hardest to bring back from rust. Good thing the metal & tubing for frames back in 70's was most likely good ole American made steel. If you leave the crap metal they use now a days outside for 40+ years it would be a pile of rust powder!

By the way, does your Hilltopper H50 carb have the word "automagic" on it? Out of 3 original Hilltopper H50 engines 2 carbs have it, the engine which came off a correct bike had a carb with a drain and same white paint as engine but no automagic. Hilltopper manual shows carb with the drain so I was assuming it was the correct carb until I got the other 2 engines which have "automagic" on them. Now confused.

Thanks
Carb isn't original.

I love big bikes. Have the hill topper, 2 super bronc, and I had a herters and a sears big wheel. Sold those though.

I daily ride or try to daily ride a megamoto 212 pro and a coleman ct200u. Those cheap China bikes have impressed me. They will take a beating.

It's amazing how much fun a stage 1 predator or clone is with a tav. They will run circles around my other bikes all day long.