Build from scratch Dutch minibike

• yes

Votes: 19 95.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

desert rat

In the video you ask what could be causing the deviation in the tach. Have you used that same type plug wire before? I have 8mm stainless MSD plug wires on my '77 MGB. The state testing center made me take them off because their test machines could not read them properly. I had to have carbon core wires for the testing. May be the same thing.

Li'l Popeye

In the video you ask what could be causing the deviation in the tach. Have you used that same type plug wire before? I have 8mm stainless MSD plug wires on my '77 MGB. The state testing center made me take them off because their test machines could not read them properly. I had to have carbon core wires for the testing. May be the same thing.
I have solid core wire currently, with the original wire and plug cap I had the same problem.
Have not tried the carbon core wire.

I74

That's F'ed up !
The emissions testing format in Co, is one reason why I left ,, before they could get their hands on my Porsche 944S,, & violate it with sliding the rear of it back & forth on the Dyno rollers,, while going thru all the gears on a road simulation. :eek::rolleyes:

I74

Coming weekend I'll be testing the tach with a resistor in the signal line.
If it works out ok or anything else it would be nice.
Is that an NGK 8mm wire ? It's hard to tell ….
For kicks & being in the Netherlands,, do you have any ''7mm'' Bosch wires to try ?

Might get a better ''accurate'' reading with a 7mm anyway.
''Smaller wire generally has more resistance''. ;)

See that you are a fan of yellow wires like me.

I really like ''Accel'' carbon core, 7mm ''yellow'' silicone wires,, & have made up a ton of them over the years,,, with very good luck.
Not sure if you can get those there or not.

P/S,,
Your build work is extraordinary !! :)

I

Last edited:

Li'l Popeye

I have 8mm and 7mm wires. All solid core. Also have MSD 8,5mm wire, but they are very fragile and have lots of resistance. Superconductor wire, I believe.
The original Honda wire and boot also has resistance build into them. I have tried the original wire and boot, but that didn't help. So I assume the signal is not messed up because of the sparkplug wire resistance. Just a signal from coil that gets messy at higher rpm's? With messy, I mean that the tachometer can't handle it. Engine runs great.

I74

You might be on the right track then with a small inline ''signal wire'' resistor.
Might have to play around with a few different ohm variations a bit though …
Let us know what you come up with .;)

I

Li'l Popeye

Untill now I have tried different resistors up to 75 kOhm, without any results. I have also tried a hall sensor for picking up signal. Also gave the same result, so dirty signal is picked up somewhere else, I guess. I also tried routing wires separate from each other, again without results.

Li'l Popeye

I think its a bad tach . Check this out see if there is something else you can try before you condemn the tach to the time out corner. https://www.digitalguarddawg.com/hrf_faq/how-do-i-test-to-confirm-i-have-a-good-tach-signal/
I have done that. It has about 9-10 v on the killswitch wire. Which is signal wire. It goes up with rpms.
I can try to swap my juggernaut driver with driver of other minibike. And see if that tacho also misreads afyer 5000 rpm. Now it doesn't reach 5000rpm..