T555 Need Diff. Axle...

Ratbike

Hey guys.The original differential is offset on the t555. The one I got , which is a peerless is centered. {both axles the same length} You will need to bolt the sprocket to the differential and since it is centered it won't fit under the motor mount. If you put the sprocket on one of the axles then you will end up with one wheel drive!! So the sprocket has to be bolted to the differential.... Just found this out the hard way today after relocating and rewelding the middle bearing hanger to go on the outside of the sprocket which I mounted directly to the right axle!!:doah:

Ratbike

I thought it through but was confused on how the differential actually works...:freakout: I still may be able to fix it by cutting off the end of the right axle and sliding the entire diff. over if there is enough axle length to work with....

Ratbike

LOL...The sprocket bolts to the diff.........Sorry to hear that you learned the hard way....
I new that but thought it would still work mounted to the axle, but it will only turn the one axle. Can't mount to diff as it is a center design.The original is offset. That is my point.Didn't want anyone else to make the same mistake...Oh well ... gonna let her go for now...

Last edited:
It is centered. I am not sure if you have the old Diff. From your T-555 and can swap the axle's or if there is a way to mount it to the new diff using a 48t and running it to the jackshaft where it lines up under the engine.Randy

Ratbike

It is centered. I am not sure if you have the old Diff. From your T-555 and can swap the axle's or if there is a way to mount it to the new diff using a 48t and running it to the jackshaft where it lines up under the engine.Randy
Thats an option I did not think of...I'll have to do some measuring. The old axles I do have but the clip seats are ruined that hold the axles in the diff.

Ratbike

Man you are screwed everytime you trun around. Would you like to buy my T555 and start over.:cursing:
Now that is funny !!! LOL!!! No, its really not that big of a deal. I'll get it but am going to run it the way it is and see how it does for now... Realistically I think the easiest fix is to move the motor mount over to the left. Then I don't have to cut axles and can still use the bearing hanger I welded on. This is good learning experience though. I've built , rebuilt,or restored 23 minis since January of '09. This is the first real hiccup I've had. Live and learn as I tell my boys!!!:shrug:
How come I don't see any pics of your T555?

mybiz

I'm sorry Ratbike that was for swamperjmb.:doah:Moving your mount sounds like the easiest way to do yours.:wink: swamperjmb has had nothing but a headache since day 1 with his snow-co. Can't do nothing but fill bad for him. He really got screwed on it. And if your not tired of restoring mini bikes I would be more than happy to send you a dozen of mine that need restored.:doah::1orglaugh: No I do have a few pic's of my T555 but there in a private album. I guess i could make a new album for the T555 but since I bought it I haven't did anything to it but buy some parts and a motor for it. Right now I'm focused on my GTO-1370 ez-rider.:eek:

its hard to tell exactly how you mounted the sprocket but perhaps you could leave it as is but pull the keyway and set screws so it freewheels. then use really long bolts and spacers over to the diff. if you do that it would be a good idea to put a greese fitting in place of the set screw. Also i was going to say did you check to make sure the diff is nicely packed with greese before you installed it? Who knows how little the factory filled it

its hard to tell exactly how you mounted the sprocket but perhaps you could leave it as is but pull the keyway and set screws so it freewheels. then use really long bolts and spacers over to the diff. if you do that it would be a good idea to put a greese fitting in place of the set screw. Also i was going to say did you check to make sure the diff is nicely packed with greese before you installed it? Who knows how little the factory filled it
Thats a good Idea, you can use sleeves instead of washers and box weld all the sleeves toegther with bar stock and maker a spacer so to speak. That would give you the full affect of the diff and keep things the way that they are.... Jeep, that idea is priceless :wink:

Ratbike

Got it put together tonight and took it for a spin...it works as it should with the set up the way it is...not very good.Pulls when you hit the throttle.Pulls the other way when you hit the brake...as I am using a clutch brake.I'm going to move the motor mount this weekend.That will be the easiest as the jack shaft assembly will move with it. The spacer idea would work I think but want to do it right as best I can...thanks for the idea though!!NEXT I'M GOING TO NEED A 40 TOOTH SPROCKET THAT WILL MOUNT TO THE PEARLESS AS I HAVE A 54 TOOTH AND IT IS GEARED TOO LOW.13.29 RATIO USING THE BURRIS RACING JACK SHAFT CALCULATOR.Burris Racing Jackshaft Calculator What I have now is 10t clutch-32t jackshaft in-13t jackshaft out,54t axle.If I go to a 40t on the axle I can get it to a 9.85 ratio which should give me better top end and still turn the big 21" tires.ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN GET A SPROCKET THAT WILL FIT A PEERLESS DIFF.??:bowdown:

Ratbike

Welded it to a hub. Got a good grinder though...LOL!!

mybiz

And your worried about turning them tiny 21" tires.:1orglaugh::1orglaugh::1orglaugh: I've bought a set of 25x12x9" tires. I'm not worried about being able to turn them. I'm worried about slipping out of my seat forward just might have to add a seatbelt. But look what $50 got me. Why I didn't buy the other 2 was stupidity on my part they were new and the rims came with them.:doah::doah::doah::doah::doah: