Bonanza BC-1300 Jackshaft Information & Parts List Needed ~show me your jackshafts ;D

Just started a Bonanza BC-1300 project-I've always dug the Bonanzas so pretty excited I finally got one some months back and now I am finally getting to work on it. Here is what I am starting with:

Not going to be a restoration, as unfortunately this BC1300 has been quite abused and "modded" by the previous owner(s) (i.e. ridden hard and put away wet, more than a few times :scared: ). All sorts of annoying stuff to have to fix including a frame that has random holes drilled and weird stuff attached to it, all over, many stripped bolts and incorrect hardware, Go Power rims that EVERY bolt broke or stripped in, many layers of bad paint, missing all the good/expensive parts, you name it.....a real nightmare project that had to debate parting out or trying to save. Going with save it, for now, lol, which brings us to the post title...... as many other components on this bike, the jack-shaft has been messed with heavily I suspect. Looks nothing like the hardware I am seeing on all original bikes so I am going to have to totally redo it.... Here it was before I disassembled it:

As you can see, lock collars have been added (and were missing the original set screws and had incorrect thread small bolts just jammed in, instead :cursing:) Also, I'm not even sure those are the original sprockets or jack-shaft? The shaft is 10 1/4" long (that's what SHE said! :biggrin: ) The setup also has had holes drilled into it to the sprockets from spinning and the ends all mushroomed out from hammering on it. :doah: A real mess.... the jack-shaft does have the circlip grooves in the ends but seems way too long compared to the ones I am seeing on other bikes?

So, I found a few pictures of how it is supposed to be but no real breakdown of all the different parts... A parts diagram would be AWESOME in anyone has one otherwise, close up pictures and parts descriptions would be a lot of help so I can order the needed stuff from OldMiniBikes. :thumbsup:

thanks in advance, I will be starting a project log on this bike, very soon...... :drinkup:

ADDED: distance between the jackshaft plates is 8 1/4" and outside is 8 5/8".

Last edited:
When I took my jackshaft off it was a little bent. So I am beefing mine up to 3/4"... I went with the 72t rear sprocket for the gearing to pull my fat ass easier. It only comes in 35 chain. So from jackshaft to rear sprocket is 35 chain. But I an going from the jackshaft back up to the motor with 40/41 chain. .... Not original but nothing that can't be undone.

Have fun with the project:thumbsup: I'm doing a bonanza myself right now and OldMiniBikes has most of the parts. I had to cut my jackshaft with a grinder in 3 different spots to get it out of there:laugh: I wore out a cut-off wheel on my bonanza:laugh::laugh:

trinik7597

don't feel bad all four of the bikes i found have weird holes drilled in them and strange add on's :thumbsup: sprockets welded on to wrong jackshafts and so on

look what someone did to this engine plate even though it is multi slotted

Get this jackshaft a new swing arm shaft and new bushings and bearings and you will be set. You can worry about your gearing later when you decide on a engine:thumbsup:
Yep, I saw that.....was worried it might not be the right length but I just went out and measured it, 8 1/4" inside dimensions so spot on, fortunately. :thumbsup:

Is that circlip manner of retention strong enough or do they ever pop off? just wondering because mine came with a big bolt through there instead (yet another user "mod" :doah:)

Have fun with the project:thumbsup: I'm doing a bonanza myself right now and OldMiniBikes has most of the parts. I had to cut my jackshaft with a grinder in 3 different spots to get it out of there:laugh: I wore out a cut-off wheel on my bonanza:laugh::laugh:
Yeah you are and wOw are you making it a nice one! I don't have the $$$ for a proper restoration on this one as it is missing all the rare, spendy parts (tank, fenders, seat, clutch guard) so I'm going to just have this be a fun build, not too worried about keeping it all stock. :biggrin:

Get this jackshaft a new swing arm shaft and new bushings and bearings and you will be set. You can worry about your gearing later when you decide on a engine:thumbsup:
Already know the engine, 5HP Briggs Mil-Spec I/C engine with lighting coil, I recently acquired! I have a sweet old-school chrome headlight and tail light assembly ready for it, too. :thumbsup:

Isn't anyone going to actually show me their jack-shaft? :laugh:

Seriously though, I could REALLY use some close up pictures and a description of what is one there and how it is properly assembled. Are there any parts diagrams floating around for the BC bikes? I have a general idea but not sure of the #of teeth on the sprockets, how they are supposed to be held on there, was there originally lock collars at all? etc.

That will be nice. I don't have a engine yet. I'm broke from all the other parts:laugh::laugh:
I actually have a HS40 with lighting coil as well as another HS40, no lights, but I really like the Briggs and this 5HP I/C engine is awesome....steel lined and the only Briggs I have seen with the lighting!

Like I said, not a resto on this one, just going to have fun with it (but not cut it up or alter it too much..... don't want to get on the Brotherhood's bad side :eek: )

This is the jackshaft I built on my Taco. What ever the gear ratio is........I forget:laugh: I run this same gear ratio on all my bikes and it is great. I will have to count the teeth for you. None of the guys have a photo of their jackshaft worth showing:laugh::laugh:

The BC1300 I found looked to be mostly untouched since original...I think this is what it should look like:

If the jackshaft is the correct length and the snap rings are in place the spacers would serve no real purpose. The small gear pictured that drives the back sprocket was 13T (HS40 motor)...I will have to loook at the clutch side again tomorrow when I'm in the shop to count the teeth.

Last edited:
Rat Nanza, I like where you are going. Old vintage lights. :thumbsup:

Can't show ya no jackshaft pics. Sorry.:wink:
Oh, illegal in 'Bama to send them over the internet, eh? :laugh:

Yeah, it's going to be kinda a military theme, too......going to be a fun one. :thumbsup:

The BC1300 I found looked to be mostly untouched since original...I think this is what it should look like:

If the jackshaft is the correct length and the snap rings are in place the spacers would serve no real purpose. The small gear pictured that drives the back sprocket was 13T (HS40 motor)...I will have to loook at the clutch side again tomorrow when I'm in the shop.
OK, great to know.....would that # of teeth set up work for the 5HP Briggs then, too?

Do those sprockets have their own set-screws? The ones on mine don't seem to?!? but had a key and slot so I couldn't figure out how the heck they were supposed to work! And then it had those huge lock collars on it too with holes drilled into the shaft and regular small bolts just torqued into place (no set screws, for some reason) :cursing: Like I said, this bike is a bit of a mess.....