Stolen Identity

jeep4me

My boss pulled me into an unexpected meeting today. He handed me a few pieces of paper and asked if I knew anything about them. To which I replied...."ahh... no, I don't!!??"

The papers he gave me were copies of a request for Michigan's unemployment benefits. These were sent to my work by the state, wanting my employer to verify that I was eligible for unemployment benefits. Luckily, I work for a smaller corporation and the accountant knows me. That's why it was questioned. Unfortunately, someone has made access to my identity, including my ss#.

Now comes the chore of figuring out if they've gotten anything else in my name.... CRAP!!!

Tis' the season.....

And the scum rises to the top and this is a busy time with all the shopping going on this time of the year. Fight back and I hope you win it sure makes anyone doubt the benefit of all our new advanced security systems.
Steve

I've had my debit card hacked but no one has my SS number yet that I know of ...

Ive heard the idenity theft programs are not good either as they can be hacked too (or something like that) ....

I would take this seriously .... someone having your SS numbers can F**K UP your life in short order.
Maybe ask a lawyer what to do .....

My sister in law had this happen...took a better part of a year to straighten out..and it still is a problem time to time...I hope you have better luck!

jeep4me

So far, so good.... I've made a bunch of phone calls, filed a police report, checked my credit reports. Nothing is abnormal other than this unemployment scam.

Need to file a few more things online and send off some letters to the credit reporting agencies and I should, hopefully, be ok. God I hope so!!!

I'll start checking my credit reports once a year, or so, just to keep up on things. I recommend this for everyone. The link above, by T-Town Man, is the one I was given by a credit bureau. The reports are free.

delray

thats not good steve. hopefully you get it wok out. last month i got a phone call from my bank telling me someone was trying to use my visa/card in the state of ny.
now that i think about it more. the only and i mean only two places it has been use was here at OldMiniBikes and a mom and pop small business shop. which i have bought from them half dozen times. both are out east close to ny.
think i am going to look into it more. first i am going to see which one is closer and maybe go from there.....

My debit card has been hacked twice, October of this year and last :eek:ut: Luckily my bank caught it both times and it never cost me a dime :thumbsup: I had a credit score of 803 :thumbsup: until I bought my new truck, the dealership ran me thru a whole bunch of banks and it killed it I'm down to 661 now :doah:

delray

ok, i get a notification yesterday that my member ship is up(OldMiniBikes) so i go ahead and pay for it with my paypal. today i get a bogas email from paypal saying there is some unusual activities and that i need to click there link and confirm your identity. basically giving up my ID info...:laugh: thats not going to happen. called paypal up and they told me to forward the email to there review tech guys.....
now this is second time something has happen after doing something with this website. starting to wonder if there is someone that has hacked into this website and is getting there info? could this be possible?

It's usually not site related, they just go to whatever site you spent money at and send a fake email from "that site" lol.

This has happened to me, it was my email provider or so I thought.
The person got my info and immediately changed my password and then spammed the shit out of everyone on my contact list looking for money.
They pretended to be me, and said I lost my wallet in London and needed someone to wire money immediately, etc.
It caused a lot of hassle for me.

I also received a shady email from "PayPal", did the same thing and called them. PayPal confirmed the email as a fake.

Be careful out there!

This is why I never send financial account info over an internet connection. If someone or some business won't supply a phone contact that I can use a charge card through, I don't buy. It's just not worth the hassle of "repairing" your financial rep.

Roger

ok, i get a notification yesterday that my member ship is up(OldMiniBikes) so i go ahead and pay for it with my paypal. today i get a bogas email from paypal saying there is some unusual activities and that i need to click there link and confirm your identity. basically giving up my ID info...:laugh: thats not going to happen. called paypal up and they told me to forward the email to there review tech guys.....
now this is second time something has happen after doing something with this website. starting to wonder if there is someone that has hacked into this website and is getting there info? could this be possible?
Not a chance. All credit card transactions are processed through PayPal or Authorize.net which are both up to date with the highest PCI DSS Standards.

E-mail accounts are "scraped" by spam bots, the same as search engines crawl web pages for content. Ever notice when people post their e-mail publicly my*email@some*.com - <-- please remove the * to email me. Same as phone numbers being spelled out to avoid data scraping. We don't participate or condone this sort of action in anyway. Hope this clears up any issues or confusion while purchasing or dealing with OldMiniBikes.com , OldMiniBikes.com

Maybe I'm not computer savvy, but I can't help but think that both the sending and recieving computers might be secure, but how many servers would the message have to pass through to get where it's supposed to go? (Sorta like land-line switching stations with the phone company.) It wouldn't be hard for a good hacker to write a program, hack it into one of those servers, just to wait for that 4-digit, 4-group sequence to come through.

Roger

I made a point to never post any pictures or personal info about me, my family or friends.

What's really scary is when you do find out that you left some tangible footprints behind and your identity becomes stolen.
Never use your real name or post any personal info that can be traced back to you.
These are all details that can be used to identify and crack your pass words.
Your dog's name, age of your kids that sort of thing.

I have one issue with this website, although it is secure once you save a photo here you no longer own it and can never delete or edit it if you notice there is something you do not like about it.

thats not good steve. hopefully you get it wok out. last month i got a phone call from my bank telling me someone was trying to use my visa/card in the state of ny.
now that i think about it more. the only and i mean only two places it has been use was here at OldMiniBikes and a mom and pop small business shop. which i have bought from them half dozen times. both are out east close to ny.
think i am going to look into it more. first i am going to see which one is closer and maybe go from there.....
It usually doesn't get hacked by a place where you use it. These a-holes guess at card numbers, and sometimes they hit it right. Between us and my Mom, we've been hit twice. I guess the old saying is true; even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then.