Recent content by Dr. Shop Teacher

1. Dr. Shop Teacher

1971 Gilson Trail Bike

now sold and going to a good home!
  2. Dr. Shop Teacher

1971 Gilson Trail Bike

Brian, this is the one you found for me.
  3. Dr. Shop Teacher

1971 Gilson Trail Bike

Sale pending! Thanks, OMB!
  4. Dr. Shop Teacher

1971 Gilson Trail Bike

Downsizing the fleet. Bike was at Windber. Includes original clutch and chain guards, new Manchester1 seat, re-popped parcel rack (number 3/4), original gas tank, brake assembly and original brackets. NOS fenders. Wheels respoked and trued, new tires. Real Comet TAV. Rebuilt very strong H60...
  5. Dr. Shop Teacher

Winber 2019

Last I heard--still up in the air but doubtful.
  6. Dr. Shop Teacher

Briggs and stratton 5.5hp misfiring

Everything you need in terms of manuals (including lapping valves) is available at this link: https://oldminibikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/link-to-briggs-l-head-service-manual-and-all-other-briggs-manuals.138045/
  7. Dr. Shop Teacher

repairing damaged recoil on small displacement shrouds from the mini bike era

Good work...now the fun part: Winding the new spring in correctly and not having it spin out several times.:) To followers of this thread, the Briggs manual is not real clear on how what direction to wind the spring (if you're reusing an old but good spring). A old, broken starter pawl is the...
  8. Dr. Shop Teacher

Anything Goes! Another Dutch minibike build from scratch.

Bikes turned out great...and I should have been clearer about the no muffler comment--I'd never seen the actual blue flame combustion through the exhaust port.:)
  9. Dr. Shop Teacher

Dr. Shop Teacher's Tonic le Moto--Broncco T-XL

Throwing in the white towel: The Broncco T-XL won't be finished by the deadline. This bike is dedicated to Richard Pearl (@control4userguy), who passed away in December 2018 from pancreatic cancer--leaving a wife and young children. Rich became a good forum friend and those of you who followed...
  10. Dr. Shop Teacher

Now that run video was pretty cool. I've never seen an engine running without a muffler. :cool:
  11. Dr. Shop Teacher

International handmade old school mini

Probably going to have to look at changing the gearing, but you really won't know until you have some total weight in the bike. Those clones are pretty torquey.
  12. Dr. Shop Teacher

The final stretch....Spent the last two days sanding and polishing the aluminum shroud and chain guard. Still more work to do; however, I needed to polish to see the spots still needing work. Looks much nicer polished than in sanded aluminum. The new Mikuni arrived yesterday and I need to...
  13. Dr. Shop Teacher

If at first you don't succeed...waste more metal! I had fits over the last two days making things look right. I was able to install the fuel supply to the tank and I worried it would leak---I used a 3/8" brass lamp nut inside the tank and made a rubber gasket for the petcock. No leaks after...
  14. Dr. Shop Teacher

It may be simply that with the engine ungoverned, you exceeded the design spec of the rocker arm--that'll be confirmed if you break another one. Bikes look great!
  15. Dr. Shop Teacher

Anything Goes! Scratch built Harrison

I'd be interested in seeing where you permanently located the regulator and starter solenoid...I made a tab and located the solenoid under the carb/exhaust so I could hide the wiring.