Recent content by Dr. Shop Teacher

1. Dr. Shop Teacher

Timing Help!!!

Did you set the timing to the proper setting? 0.065 BTDC--I've had a heck of a time with my 69 Tec H35, also. Runs then dies.
  2. Dr. Shop Teacher

Gumpit's Cast Off--1970 CAT 300SS

It ain't done. I'm going to ask Karen to move it to projects as I did get a lot done as you'll see. Life interfered....again and I did not have time to post as I got things done, but it's all documented. Like all of us, COVID changed my world and, as a university professor, my classes had to go...
  3. Dr. Shop Teacher

Valve Removal and Coil Repair: While I've not posted for a bit, I have documented what's been happening. The valves came out pretty easily. The engine is old enough where it had two keepers per valve (upper and lower retainer). The exhaust valve had a ton of carbon on it, but both cleaned up...
  4. Dr. Shop Teacher

HPE Muskin CAT Chain Guide

Thank you, Andy, for coming through!
  5. Dr. Shop Teacher

Need help with a HS30...

My two cents--Setting the points can be a bear. You think you've got them right and then you do a final check, and they are off. I wish I had a trick other than another set of hands to hold the feeler gauge and points in place when you tighten it all back down.
  6. Dr. Shop Teacher

HPE Muskin CAT Chain Guide

OldMiniBikes doesn't carry these anymore. Anybody have one in decent shape? Send me a PM. Thanks!
  7. Dr. Shop Teacher

Engine Tear Down: As I mentioned, this is first "real" mini engine and is a 3.5hp Tecumseh. Over the summer, I had power washed it to get the tons of grease off it. I'm certain it needs a pto side crank seal and there was a bunch of gunk behind shroud extension....so I was anxious to how it...
  8. Dr. Shop Teacher

Vintage 1970 Broncco tx2/tx1

I went back and looked at the Green and Blue bikes together. I have to ask if the rake angle is nearly the same on the neck tube--pics seem to show a shallower angle on the blue bike. My bike has a pretty nice neck angle to it (I tried to keep it original when I fixed it) and since I moved my...
  9. Dr. Shop Teacher

Forks, handlebars and front spring: Was able to clean up the handlebars today and got the paint off the spring and cups. I wish I could figure out the original color as I discovered the spring was painted the same red I found on the frame....maybe it was. The handlebars are going to need a lot...
  10. Dr. Shop Teacher

Vintage 1970 Broncco tx2/tx1

I would bet it's not original. I've got another frame in storage that hit something so hard, the top tubes bent down in a curve perfectly. Looks like somebody who knew what they were doing fixed what is a horribly weak point in the design. See my build here to see what I had to do...
  11. Dr. Shop Teacher

And, because of my health and my mom's health issues, I wasn't able to finish last year's build off bike in time. Here are pics of the finished Broncco. The gang at Windber saw it, but it was still not finished.
  12. Dr. Shop Teacher

Finally, a bit more done. I have to tell you recovering from radiation treatments and prostate seed implants has been an ordeal. I'm more tired than I expected and very glad I picked a fairly simple project. Frame is now stripped after grinding off a bunch of booger welds with little...
  13. Dr. Shop Teacher

Brid-ish

Love the pair of shoes! Creative!!
  14. Dr. Shop Teacher

my Cat 400TS

Welcome aboard and have fun. Great, but harsh story, but there's always a history to each bike and the builder. Thanks for your help in sourcing the fenders for my little baby CAT.
  15. Dr. Shop Teacher

Getting back into the "Schwing" of Things--High Speed Fork Rescue I had a couple of offers of spare forks which I appreciate but I decided to get my feet wet fixing the bent up originals. I started with the handlebars: . Click on the above two pics and you'll see how out of whack they were. ...