Recent content by ole4

1. ole4

Simplex project

Wow that color really pops! Going to be a sweet ride!
  2. ole4

Who’s the powell experts….

On my e model there were little wire retaining rings that were a pain to get apart then the innards pull out. Mine were all rusted in and it was difficult to get it apart. I wound up replacing all of it except the inner springs. Made new inner legs and outer legs and made larger bronze bushes.
  3. ole4

Converting non charging hs50 to charging

Mine is a 3 amp ac lighting coil there were others with higher amperage and a couple of diodes to provide dc
  4. ole4

Who’s the powell experts….

Tillotsons fit right on and so does stock air filter but they are not as easy to start so I went back to a stock carb.
  5. ole4

I took it apart and soaked the laminations in evaporust and it came out like new. Hard part was getting off the coil retainers. I got a new crankshaft from Jacks years ago that i used.
  6. ole4

I did this to the hs50 I put in my Powell to look like the period correct HS40 motor that should have been in it.
  7. ole4

Tecumseh Hssk50 wont fire

air is a insulator more compression requires more voltage for the same gap. Closing the gap is just a diagnostic test to try to figure out why your test is failing.
  8. ole4

Black has higher compression? If yes requires more voltage to fire plug. Try closing gap to .018-.020
  9. ole4

predator 212 dies when letting off throttle

sounds like a possible lean or perfect idle mixture try richening the idle a bit and see if that helps. And hope it's not the rod!
  10. ole4

The small valve is on the exhaust side, intake valve is the same. Dont overthink this, if you have spark fuel and compression and its timed right and mixture is correct you get boom. One of the three components is missing.
  11. ole4

So assuming you have fuel, adequate spark at the right time, and compression, my guess is too lean a mixture as with no carb and an open inlet port it’s getting as much air into the cylinder as possible.
  12. ole4

The external CDI on the late model Tecumseh engines is in a fixed position the flywheel key location determines the timing of the ignition.
  13. ole4

flywheel sheared the key? that would throw off the spark timing.
  14. ole4

Piston rod compression

Why would you change the hemi flattop .550 piston? Its already a good piece and is a flattop. with a +.020 rod it should get you close to a zero deck height. Then you need to measure the in the hole measurement and add that to head gasket thickness to get to approx .030 piston top to head deck.
  15. ole4

Champion Rocker Cracked intake, Vacuum leak at intake manifold (RTV RED?)

Watch this video to get the concept then keep in mind you do not have rollers but adjusters on the valve side. You want to check your mid lift geometry so that a imaginary line thru the center of the axle to the tip of the adjuster is parallel to the gasket surface. Your valve side geometry is...