Quality flux core welder under $500?

MJL

I'd rather not mess with gas if I can help it, but need something other than my AC buzz box for welding thinner materials. Any recommendations for an affordable flux core welder?

I must agree with Doug, the Cobra Torch does it all and has the biggest bang for the buck, that torch will help you glide through many projects large or small.

I posted this is a different thread but I will repost it here too. I bought my torch from this very gentleman in 1994. He is a good guy and will help you in any way that he can.

Doug

[video=youtube;bBWy3SPFGe4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBWy3SPFGe4[/video]

Don’t even waste your time on a flux cored only welder. They weld like garbage. Spend the extra money and get a gas bottle.
Not totally true. They have there place and a good machine operated by a good welder will make a good weld. The intention of Flux core wire is the same as any other Flux cored or coated filler metal, to clean the joint. All Stick welding rods are flux covered. Thus the reason you can weld rusty, crusty metal and get a good weld when you use the right rod. A Farmer cant survive without a god Stick welder and the right rod choice. Flux core Solder is for cleaning and adhering all in one step. If you prep the area properly and set the machine properly a Flux core machine will weld a good weld. Granted Gas is prettier initially but a good weld is a good weld if it is properly prepped and properly burned in.

There is an Overhead Crane company close to where I live. I have a friend that works there as the purchasing agent. They hardly weld anything under 1/2'' and mostly 3/4'' and 1''. All they use is Flux core .060 wire AND gas. I was in the shop one day and asked Bender, who is the welder what they set the machine on, he said "wide open" which is 500 amps...

The biggest problem with a welding machine of any kind or filler metal of any kind is operator error. You have to make test welds and adjust the machine to what you are welding. You have to adjust the heat for the metal thickness and the amount of filler metal for the need of the joint. T joints, Butt welds, Open Butt welds and Fatigue Cracks all require a different setting for proper penetration. Test welds are more important than the final weld. Because once you have done the proper test welds and set up the machine to weld correctly the final weld will be a cake walk.

You cant just turn on the machine and assume that it will weld good because it makes sparks and applies filler metal. Especially a MIG machine.... It is going to keep feeding wire regardless of need. It only does what YOU tell it to do.

Doug

I'd rather not mess with gas if I can help it, but need something other than my AC buzz box for welding thinner materials. Any recommendations for an affordable flux core welder?
I've had my small Lincoln flux core welder (weld pack 100) for at least 10 years and it's worked flawlessly. I used the flux core wire up until very recently and I like it. Just recently I purchased the MIG kit and like that too. Since it is a 110 volt machine, it has it's limitations but works very well for anything mini bike.

If you are a beginner and want to learn to weld, the Harbor freight flux core unit works as advertised also. A friend of mine has one and works just fine. You can't beat the price! About 100 dollars!

Just get some scrap steel and keep practicing...practice makes perfect!

Like FOMOGO said it's not the welder, it's the welder's operator. I've made some beautiful welds with a cigar box stick welder, and using coat hangers and actelyene. And I've made some not so pretty ones with a nice mig and gas. Not the machine at fault it was the loose nut behind the mask.

I bought the H/F $100 special, for me it does just fine. But am seriously looking at the Cobra.

MJL

Looks like the Cobra Torch, regulators, and tanks will run a fair bit over $500. How does the Cobra compare to a Victor type setup? How about Oxy/LPG, is that an option?

Looks like the Cobra Torch, regulators, and tanks will run a fair bit over $500. How does the Cobra compare to a Victor type setup? How about Oxy/LPG, is that an option?
I own both and there is no comparison. The Cobra Torch is not anything like a Victor torch. It does what it does because it has a pre mixing chamber that allows it to operate on 4 or 5 PSI where a Victor uses 12 PSI Acetylene and 25 PSI plus Oxygen. They don't weld the same and they don't cut the same. You cant make the fine fast cuts with a Victor torch.

In all honesty you just have to see one in action to see what it truly can do.

LPG is a waste of effort to me. It takes a lot longer to cut with it. I have not tried to weld with it. I cut 30'' OD 3/8'' wall pipe with some in the scrap yard and it was slowwwwww.....

I have a Tig, but when I am welding basic steel or when the welds dont have to look perfect I grab my Lincoln Pro Mig 140. It can be setup for gas also, but I use the flux core. Have had it about 10 years and it works great. On these old school minibikes I kind of like the basic looking weld, blends in with the factory stuff better.

red baron

I own both and there is no comparison. The Cobra Torch is not anything like a Victor torch. It does what it does because it has a pre mixing chamber that allows it to operate on 4 or 5 PSI where a Victor uses 12 PSI Acetylene and 25 PSI plus Oxygen. They don't weld the same and they don't cut the same. You cant make the fine fast cuts with a Victor torch.

LPG is a waste of effort to me. It takes a lot longer to cut with it. I have not tried to weld with it. I cut 30'' OD 3/8'' wall pipe with some in the scrap yard and it was slowwwwww.....
We have a Lincoln flux core only at work and I think you'd make a huge mistake not to get a welder that can be converted to mig. It's a bit more money but you would be able to upgrade to mig later and if you wanted to to sell it later on it would be much more desirable.

Bird Brain

Flux i must agree is not great for appearance although has good holding strength when sprayed correctly. I would opt for gas if the budget allows. Flux core results are discouraging for even accomplished mig welders with years behind the hood. Practice pratice practice.

2old2care

The single big advantage to flux core, to my mind anyway, is that it can make a decent weld outside, in a breeze .
Try that with MIG if you want an exercise in frustration .

2old2care

2old2care

I'm always impressed when someone reports that they get superior results with one of those, only way to go, etc.
I've owned a Cobra torch for many years, bought back when it was called the "Dillon" torch, or maybe the "Henrob", I don't remember, as it's been that long - It's gone through a couple name changes, I believe.
I used it a LOT, with some really good low pressure regulators, but a while ago I went back to my Smith aircraft torch, and I think I prefer that set up over the Cobra - It just works better for me.

The one nice thing the Cobra has, though, is the single jet cutting head - You can slice metal pretty good with that.
But for welding, I think I prefer the Smith.

Last edited:

Bird Brain

The single big advantage to flux core, to my mind anyway, is that it can make a decent weld outside, in a breeze .
Try that with MIG if you want an exercise in frustration .
Il agree to that, some equipment is better suited for certain circumstances. Ive been associated with combo units in my past that use both flux wire shielded by a uni-mix aswell. Different enviroments, different jobs, different requirements in performance, and appearance quality factors. Its all good stuff used in its intended manner i suppose.