Lucky to be able to ask this question

Hello
I never expected to be able to ask this question.If you were able to find a 1968 Lil Indian model 600 that was only ridden a few times and put in a basement for almost 50 years without being touched (yep without being touched)would it be OK to clean and polish and maybe remove some miner rust from the Crome fenders and clean other parts as needed or do you not touch Anything?With the bike sitting this long it has accumulated some minor rust etc.This bike is 100%+ original.I will post pics, when I figure out how to post pic. on this site.
Jay

Hello
I never expected to be able to ask this question.If you were able to find a 1968 Lil Indian model 600 that was only ridden a few times and put in a basement for almost 50 years without being touched (yep without being touched)would it be OK to clean and polish and maybe remove some miner rust from the Crome fenders and clean other parts as needed or do you not touch Anything?With the bike sitting this long it has accumulated some minor rust etc.This bike is 100%+ original.I will post pics, when I figure out how to post pic. on this site.
Jay
Jay,
First, congrats on the find. I’m excited to see it. My OPINION is there is nothing g wrong with cleaning a survivor. You aren’t altering or changing anything. You’re preserving it. As found condition is cool too and is actually judged at many high end car shows now a days.
If you want to PM or text me the pics I will try and post them for you...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What I do with a survivor is clean and polish the heck out of it. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. Get your self some pipe cleaners and q-tips to get in the corners. Lol.

fwiw, I re-visit the vintage auto and motorcycle restorers forums. Then on to the least abrasive methods possible.
Nice bike, cool project. I’m looking forward to pictures.

Last edited:
Do whatever you want. Im not a purist so I usually put a clone on them and ride them if they’re not a survivor. If it is a survivor I sell it to someone who would do it justice.

Addicted 2 Minis

Hello
Jay
A proper cleaning will be time consuming, that being said I would recommend getting a notebook, labels and plastic parts bins. Take lots of photos of everything you will take apart so it can go back exactly as removed. If the parts have labels on them or tags with part numbers, clean around them as much as possible. Organization and documentation are key to doing it right, even the angles of the throttle and brake levers are a big deal when it comes to judgement day. What ever you do, don't just take it to the car wash and spray it down. I like to work in sections, leaving most parts together until I get to them. What I mean by that is I would remove the fork as a whole, the engine as a whole then the wheels and set everything aside and work on one thing at a time, I start with the frame then the fork assembly then the wheels and tires and then the engine. I look forward to seeing your pictures, love them "Lil Indians".

Hello Broke Joke.My bike is a 1968 early model and it is red.Sorry for taking so long to answer..Been very busy like everyone this time of year.
Welcome to OldMiniBikes.This is a great site.
Jay