Blowing off the dust.

Hi, I’m new to this site. Never knew there was such a following. So, I,have an old mini that I got at a flea market for my son about 35 years ago. Had no markings, but I was told it was a Sears Craftsman. Ran it as is for a few years, then the frame cracked. Took it apart to get it welded, and that’s where it stayed. Been on a shelf downstairs for about thirty years, waiting to spring back to life. The only markings I have are on the engine. I’m sure it’s a Tecumseh. Model # is a Craftsman, 143-684012 Ser 9173A. Engine ran great when removed, but since it’s already off, gonna do some minor tune-up. I found new points/condenser, spark plug, breather element, air filter, and muffler. Going to put fresh clean oil, and clean and degrease engine. Does anybody know what horsepower it is, possibly what year, and where I could find a manual for the engine ? Sorry, no pictures because it’s all still in pieces. Engine has cast iron flywheel with nylon fan, and mini bike has jack shaft and torque converter. I found a cross reference chart for Craftsman to Tecumseh, but oddly, that model# isn’t on it.

Littlebear

Welcome. The extremely knowledgeable guys will be along to help you soon. You found the right place. It amazes me how much these guys here know about these old mini bikes.

Welcome. The extremely knowledgeable guys will be along to help you soon. You found the right place. It amazes me how much these guys here know about these old mini bikes.
Thank you. I was a mechanic by trade, but retired years ago. When I was a kid I took in all the stray lawn mowers or tractors and built every contraption imaginable. If Ihad an engine, I had a ride. Wish I still had some of those today.

markus

The engine (if the numbers are correct) is a 1979, the parts list show as a sept. 1978 start time for that configuration. it is a 3.5 horsepower and crosses with a H35-45518M tecumseh number. It does show like a recreational spec engine from the factory. Around that time the Sears bikes didnt always get craftsman engine though. If it was a sears sold bike, from what I have researched over the years is it would most likely be a Manco made bike during that timeframe at least what you see in the sears mail order catalogs

you can just use the tecumseh L head repair manual if you need something for repair info (it also has the craftsman cross reference list in the back of the book)

The engine (if the numbers are correct) is a 1979, the parts list show as a sept. 1978 start time for that configuration. it is a 3.5 horsepower and crosses with a H35-45518M tecumseh number. It does show like a recreational spec engine from the factory. Around that time the Sears bikes didnt always get craftsman engine though. If it was a sears sold bike, from what I have researched over the years is it would most likely be a Manco made bike during that timeframe at least what you see in the sears mail order catalogs

you can just use the tecumseh L head repair manual if you need something for repair info (it also has the craftsman cross reference list in the back of the book)
Thank you so much for the info. Nice to connect with guys who know. I got it at a flea market for $50, rode it home from there. I don’t think the rear sprocket or chain is original. It has a #41 chain, and the sprocket is solid, no holes. Does that sound right ? All the ones I saw long ago had #35. P.S.- Love the movie quote.

markus

It would not be unheard of. Mini bikes, even the small basic styled models, in the 70's were utilizing 40 size chain.

It would not be unheard of. Mini bikes, even the small basic styled models, in the 70's were utilizing 40 size chain.
I didn’t know that. I’m not a collector, just a guy that loves building and restoring things. I know a lot about engines, but not much about bike brands or styles. I’ve heard of a few, but ones me or my friends had. I think it’s so cool that there’s so many people who collect, build, and rebuild mini bikes. Glad I found this site.