Lil Indian 500

Addicted 2 Minis

I just picked this Lil guy up off Craigslist, the listing was 4 days old so I wasn't sure if it was still available and it was more than an hour away from where I live but I gave it a shot. The listing stated that it was a 1968 and he built it for his wife but she never rode it because it was too small and he was asking $350 for it. I noticed from the crumby pictures that it had the 4" mag wheels and a 5hp Briggs I/C engine but when he said it had the brake caliper too, I knew I had to get it. When I looked it over, I noticed that it wasn't a 1968 but somewhere around 70-72 due to the Tecumseh hole in the engine plate. The only real damage is the footrest bar, everything else looks great due to the layers of paint on everything, including the wheels and sprocket!. I found from OND's post, Markus stated that the green ones where the model 500 bikes of this era. Lil Indian 500_018.jpeg Lil Indian 500_007.jpeg Lil Indian 500_009.jpeg Lil Indian 500_016.jpeg

What is that number 34585 ? Markus can help date it better than me , but I think it might be 70/71 model . If it does have the hole in the engine plate it probably is a Tecumseh bike . Either way I think you got your moneys worth ! Nice Score
The green looks like what they called Gastric Green .

Last edited:

Addicted 2 Minis

Yep, the serial number is 34585 and I would really like it to be 71 because that's the year I was born. When I spoke with the guy I bought it from I told him that just the mags and caliper are just about worth what he was asking for the whole bike, he said he wasn't like that, he just needed to make room so he could work on his wife's car. He actually came down on his price but I told him what he was asking was more than fair and he tossed in an old speedway bike he had too, the engine plate was cut on it but I got some wheels, forks and handlebars for other projects, heck, maybe I'll weld in a plate and throw a clone on it ( the speedway bike ), who knows. There's no pitting on the Lil Indian, just layers of chipped paint. The guy said it had new steering bushings in it but they didn't look right so when I got home, I took the forks off to find a piece of PVC tubing and some metal bushings inside that with a washer on top and bottom between the triple tree and steer tube, weird but it worked!. I replaced the PVC tubing with the correct bushings as seen in the picture. I also ordered brake pucks, short brake lever, brake adjuster, caliper spacers and 5/8" bolts for it, the ones from Allied don't have the marking on them and they cost less too. I don't think I'll go full resto on this one, although it is really nice, the cost of the missing parts make me shrug at the idea. I have a 75 Tecumseh 4hp engine that I'll probably go with, I really like the briggs so much more, they just fit the vintage mini bike image so well. I never liked the kick up seats either, I feel like I'm sitting on a lump and they seem to make you sit where you don't want to sit, closer to the handlebars ( probably because they were meant for young kids! ). I mounted a 13x5.00-6 street tire on a 6" mag and it looks really cool but I'm afraid it would end up being to pocket bike looking. I think I will try to find the closest matching color and at least that much will be how it was.

markus

That number would have been in the later part of 1969 most likely, they recorded being up to 37K built bikes thru 1969. Pretty close to the same as a '71. note the position of the bend for the handlebars, they show higher up past the fork tree in the 60's comared to the 70's, but most people don't notice stuff like that. In '71 they would have called the bike a Cobra

Addicted 2 Minis

Markus, you are awesome!, I never noticed that about the bars either. But now that leaves me with the question of the mag wheels and the color, I didn't know that "Gastric Green" was available in '69. Speaking of "Gastric Green", I found a great match, Buick green engine paint. I took a better picture of the serial number and noticed remnants of pink paint just around the axle nut, almost identical to that of OND's.

Lil Indian 500_16.jpeg