Speedway Shrike dragged out from collapsed barn

Hey, new guy here but I've been reading this site for a few months to figure out what I've got. This here is a Speedway Shrike that I pulled out from under my father in law's collapsed barn this summer. It was my brother in law's about 20 years ago, and the barn collapsed under the weight of the snow about 10 years ago (upstate NY snow is no joke).

There was a good amount of surface rust, but everything is still solid. The rear drum brake was completely locked up but I got it freed up - the shoes and springs were just crumbling into rusty dust.

There was no motor in the bike (father in law has no idea when or where that went to), and unfortunately it is also missing the torque converter drive unit. The driven unit was seized up but after soaking it with some penetrating oil it moves freely, it is a Fairbanks-Morse.

So, my questions are:

- can I get replacement shoes & springs for the brake, or do I have to just buy a new drum brake unit?

- can I use a Comet 20 drive unit or something similar with the F-M driven unit, or would I have to buy a whole T/C assembly?

- possibly a dumb question, but how do I get the jackshaft with the driven unit mounted in this? Do I have to remove the little sprocket & driven unit & slide the jackshaft through everything, or can I pop it in somehow? The set screw on the sprocket is practically rust welded to the shaft & is such a tiny hex size I'm afraid it will just round out.

Thanks! This site has been an awesome resource so far!

You have a great project there. I know this because I have a speedway scarab I just got running again.

On to your questions:

- can I get replacement shoes & springs for the brake, or do I have to just buy a new drum brake unit?Not sure about this. Maybe on ebay???

- can I use a Comet 20 drive unit or something similar with the F-M driven unit, or would I have to buy a whole T/C assembly? My driven looks different from yours but I would assume it takes a 5/8 inch top width belt and a new 20 series driver is is 3/4 inch top width. If 1/8 inch is taken off the fixed collar on a 20 series driver; it will then take a 5/8 belt too. Search other threads and this is dicussed many times and does work, I did that for my speedway and it works pretty good.

- possibly a dumb question, but how do I get the jackshaft with the driven unit mounted in this? Do I have to remove the little sprocket & driven unit & slide the jackshaft through everything, or can I pop it in somehow? The set screw on the sprocket is practically rust welded to the shaft & is such a tiny hex size I'm afraid it will just round out.I kinda did a combination to install the jackshaft. I installed the driven on the shaft but left the sprocket loose until I installed the second bearing snap ring. Then I slide the sprocket over and locked it in place. Sorry hard to explain but I figured it out after some trail and error.

Either way. Good luck on the project!