Honda z50r Won't Run

Just got my Honda z50r together enough for a first ride yesterday. Got it running for about 30 seconds until the needle and seat stuck and flooded the engine. I let it sit for a few hours to dry out and now it won't start at all, just either pops once or twice or backfires out the carb. Any ideas? I was thinking timing but how would the timing change so suddenly apart from a sheared flywheel key (checked that)?

It's an '83, with points ignition. I'll recheck them but I should probably find a service manual to see how to adjust it
You should be be able to find a pdf manual online. Can't be anything major. Those little Hondas are bullet proof. I just picked up this ATC70 for restoration. 20190214_113018-1.jpg

It's an '83, with points ignition. I'll recheck them but I should probably find a service manual to see how to adjust it
When all fails. Replace with Lifan 125cc 4-speed. Lol.. All plug and play. CDI etc. Then you'll be cookin'. It will bolt right in the Z. My screaming flea. Then you won't need the manual either. Haha.... 20190210_130622-1.jpg

When all fails. Replace with Lifan 125cc 4-speed. Lol.. All plug and play. CDI etc. Then you'll be cookin'. It will bolt right in the Z. My screaming flea. Then you won't need the manual either. Haha.... View attachment 240624
I was thinking of going with a 70 or 90cc Honda engine when this one eventually dies. I like the points igniton cause it's a lot simpler, and it seems like those engines are fairly plentiful near me. Plus I wouldn't want to go faster than maybe 35 or 40 on something this small!

Looks like no gas in the oil, the mag is fine. Next thing to try is the spark plug when it comes in the mail in a day or two
It doesn't happen often, but I struggled with getting a Trail 90 that I recently restored to fire. I had all the requirements needed. Fuel, spark, correct timing/points setting, valve lash and still nothing. Took a plug out of a parts bike and wala..... Started right up. My guess is something was internally wrong with the plug. Wouldn't spark when installed? Hope it's your fix too.

It doesn't happen often, but I struggled with getting a Trail 90 that I recently restored to fire. I had all the requirements needed. Fuel, spark, correct timing/points setting, valve lash and still nothing. Took a plug out of a parts bike and wala..... Started right up. My guess is something was internally wrong with the plug. Wouldn't spark when installed? Hope it's your fix too.
I hope so too but it seems like it's never that easy.