Briggs and stratton 5.5hp misfiring

Hi all,
I have a briggs and stratton 5.5hp.
It is misfiring, so I have tried new carb, new spark plug and magneto, and the timing, I gapped everything to the specs.
it is definitely not the fuel/air or ignition system.
Suggestions?????
Thanks,
Nathan

Model# 126302
No idea if it's a flat head. How do you find out?
What's lapping the valves?
A flathead has a finned flat head (literally), no rocker cover (no rockers), usually has a vertical spark plug.

An OHV (overhead valve) will have a rocker cover (AKA: valve cover) usually made of stamped steel or cast aluminum, usually has an angled spark plug.

Check the B&S forum for photos.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flathead_engine

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overhead_valve_engine

I74

Is it miss firing out of the carb - intake side, or exhaust side ??
Hope you are not running fuel with any alcohol.

I74

Added,,
On lapping valves, just do a Google search on it.
The exhaust side on small engines, is what normally fails first,, contributed from failing exhaust gaskets, ''Loose bolts ect''.,which burns the exhaust valve.

I74

Added again,,,
Fuel with alcohol burns '''really hot'', & in just using that, can take out - ''burn''- an exhaust valve on a small engine, real quick.

Jay leno has vids on Ethanol fuel.
He is a pretty sharp Dude, & was a mechanic back in the day,, before his TV stuff ect.
His perspective of that, is pretty much mine as well.
Check them out.;)
Ian

Added,,
On lapping valves, just do a Google search on it.
The exhaust side on small engines, is what normally fails first,, contributed from failing exhaust gaskets, ''Loose bolts ect''.,which burns the exhaust valve.
Nope I dont use alchohol gas, but the previous owner did.

I74

Was the engine out of a snow blower or pump?
First thing I would do is check the valve lash on the exhaust valve.
If the valve is burned, the lash would more than likely be tighter, because of the valve probably into the seat more.
If that's the case, I would try adjusting that valve first, & set the gap a bit looser than spec. & then run it again & see if that helps.
If it does, you will have then probably pinpointed the problem.

eReplacementparts.com, has all the parts for that engine, & pretty decent instructions for fixing it.
Exhaust valve comes with a collar / retainer. & they have a complete top end gasket set for it including exhaust gaskets, for around 21 bucks.
I always highly recommend a new exhaust gasket, regardless. ;)
I

Was the engine out of a snow blower or pump?
First thing I would do is check the valve lash on the exhaust valve.
If the valve is burned, the lash would more than likely be tighter, because of the valve probably into the seat more.
If that's the case, I would try adjusting that valve first, & set the gap a bit looser than spec. & then run it again & see if that helps.
If it does, you will have then probably pinpointed the problem.

eReplacementparts.com, has all the parts for that engine, & pretty decent instructions for fixing it.
Exhaust valve comes with a collar / retainer. & they have a complete top end gasket set for it including exhaust gaskets, for around 21 bucks.
I always highly recommend a new exhaust gasket, regardless. ;)
I
Ok.
It's out of a tiller.

Take the valve cover off. Look for a broken spring. A weak spring "may" be compressed more than the other spring. Otherwise there is no visible way to tell.
From what you have posted....
New Carb
New Ignition
timing correct
New spark plug
That leaves the valves or perhaps the throttle linkage/governor is miss adjusted or hanging up.
Make sure the fuel line is not touching the linkage and the springs are in the right place/hole.