Cleaning up the Rust on the Gas tank and front fender on my 1971 Roadster 2

GustoGuy

I dropped off my rim at the powder coat place. The finish is called ultra chrome. It is very shiny and looks about 90% as good as chrome and you can see your reflection. Unfortunately it is not UV resistant and the protective power coat clear dulls the finish significantly. The guy I spoke to said they have done some aluminum rims in it and then the people took them to a paint shop and sprayed them with a UV resistant urathane clearcoat finish. He said the baked on clear coat significantly reduces the shine so you can no longer see your self in the finish. He said a paint shop can spray it or you can rattle can it and that will only slightly dull the mirror like finish while providing UV protection. Plus the bike will be stored 6 out of 7 days in a shed so the powder coating Chrome should hold up with the spray on UV protective clear coat. I found Krylon makes a product I will use to protect my rim from UV.

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Art-Supp...sistant-Acrylic-Coating/p/7071#review-section

GustoGuy

It polished up nicely. There is some unfortunate pitting of the chrome but on a 45 to 46 year old wheel that is to be expected. I am going to order a $20.00 respirator and some Spraymax 2K clear coat to coat my gasoline tank after painting and the front rim so the pitted areas will not rust anymore. I am also going to topcoat my rear rim which I am having powder coated Superchrome since the interior only non UV resistant finish is completely dulled by the bake on clearcoat finish. The guy who powered coated it said they have done car rims in the super chrome and then people have taken them to a paint shop and sprayed with a 2K clear coat and it only slightly dull the finish unlike the baked on powder coat clearcoat finish which significantly reduces the reflective surface of the super chrome. Suposibly Eastman makes a UV stabile shiny reflective chrome powder coat but they don't use it at the powder coat shop. I will use the 2K since regular clearcoat paint is not solvent stabile and grease and oil and gas and carburetor cleaner will destroy the finish and the minibike is likely to have gasoline spills on the gas tank finish when fueling.

GustoGuy

Took the Jackshaft and the Rupp secondary off. The bearings were gritty but that is to be expected on a 47 year old bike. Took the front fork off and I had to soak the Bolt in Deep creep just to get it off. The bottom fork bearing was all gritty sounding so ordering new fork and Jackshaft and wheel bearings. I am going to sand and paint the frame and forks. I have no idea what year it is other than the frame is originally black so it is a 1972 to 1975 Rupp Roadster 2 frame. There was yellow over spray inside the front fork tube so who ever painted it last took it all apart but I can see the black paint on the inside of the fork tube. Since it is mine I going to paint it red. And get aftermarket Rupp Roadster 2 Decals and a new Comet knockoff 20 Series with a 6 inch secondary. 20190612_211713_resized.jpg