I inherited my brothers Murray Track 2 mini bike.

He got it in 2004 brand new.

The fuel line had dry rotted and I replaced that myself.

I haven't been able to locate the owner's manual can anyone give me tips on what I should do to make sure I don't ruin this bike.

I cannot get it to start and do not know what to do to get it to start but I don't want to ruin something that has been sitting for 10 years without making sure I've done certain steps first can you help me?

Attachments

Harquebus

I would reckon that the owner's manual has nothing extremely specific about maintaining the engine and troubleshooting.
Does yours have the original Tecumseh 3.5 HP engine?

Do you have compression?
Do you know if you have spark?
Do you know a simple way to check for spark?

If the bike was stored with with any amount of fuel in it, you can bet the carburetor is clogged, corroded and gummed up because modern fuels contain ethanol, which being grain alcohol draws moisture unto itself. Plus alcohol is hell on rubber fuel lines as you probably experienced already by replacing it.

If you have compression and spark, fuel delivery is going to be your issue and the carb will probably need a disassembly and thorough cleaning.

If that's his bike in his avatar photo, then yes. Needs a carb rebuild or replacement. You have to figure if the fuel line is rotted, any rubber in the carburetor left the building seven years ago. (as has been stated) Since he's asking about what to do next, I would assume rebuilding a carburetor might be outside of his wheel house, and a carb replacement is in order.

Good spot on the avatar. You can get a new carb on eBay for less than 20.00. keep the old carb for a rebuild when you want to attempt that. I would spray some starting fluid in the carb and see if the engine will pop. Then you will know for sure it is the carb.

Cuda54

Change the oil then pull the rope start cover and check the flywheel. If the coil is on the out side clean the magnet and coil the gap should be about .030. If it is on the in side remove the flywheel and check the points should be about .020. Make sure it is all nice and clean then put it all back together. The plug should be about .030 gap a new plug should be used as the old one might not work right from age. The pull the carb and clean it all up inside and out pull the needles and clean then. I just use fine wet or dry sand paper I make a fold insert the needle tip and spin it with my finger. And reinstall them set at 1 and 1/8 idle and 1 and 1/4 high speed for starters then fine tune from there. Make sure it has clean new fuel check tank for rust and install a fuel filter too.

Harquebus

Yesterday he didn't have an avatar. :rolleyes: :)
Certainly helps now, assuming that's his bike of course and not one just like it.

The 1994 era was the time period for plastic gas tanks on Tecumsehs, right?