Streaker

Frisco57

Thanks Harquebus! Moody as in hard starting, runs good sometimes and not so good the next. It's a old 5 horse Briggs from 1981 that a friend gave me. I gave it a carb. rebuild including pick-up tubes, a new gas tank, a spark plug fresh fluids and a paint job.

Thanks Harquebus! Moody as in hard starting, runs good sometimes and not so good the next. It's a old 5 horse Briggs from 1981 that a friend gave me. I gave it a carb. rebuild including pick-up tubes, a new gas tank, a spark plug fresh fluids and a paint job.
What’s the spark plug telling you? Do you have an in-line spark tester?
That baby should pop on the first pull and purr on the second. Are you running Rec90?
Just some thoughts.
I like working on ours, its easy to get to everything.
Beautiful machine, nice work.

Frisco57

What’s the spark plug telling you? Do you have an in-line spark tester?
That baby should pop on the first pull and purr on the second. Are you running Rec90?
Just some thoughts.
I like working on ours, its easy to get to everything.
Beautiful machine, nice work.
Thanks SAT. It will start with out too much yanking but than you got to look for a sweet spot when pushing in the choke to keep it running. It appears to be running rich but with the choke partially on I'd expect that, I do not have a spark tester yet. It's also has a B&S mag. (no points) What is a "Rec90"? I still suspect an air leak but repeated checks & tightening at the carb. & tank have not yielded results.

Frisco57

Good looking streaker you've got there. Did you addthat seat hoop extension for better seat placement? I really like that. That's my only complaint with these streakers. The seat is set too far forward on them.
Thanks Fat Tony157! I'm a big old boy and a friend who's a great welder/fab. guy & I added that to move the seat back 2 1/2" making this little mini slightly larger. It works!

IMG_2804.jpg

Thanks SAT. It will start with out too much yanking but than you got to look for a sweet spot when pushing in the choke to keep it running. It appears to be running rich but with the choke partially on I'd expect that, I do not have a spark tester yet. It's also has a B&S mag. (no points) What is a "Rec90"? I still suspect an air leak but repeated checks & tightening at the carb. & tank have not yielded results.
So, several things. Rec90 is ethanol free 90 octane gasoline. The carb is still malfunctioning due to contaminants. Clean the tank, replace the fuel lines, filter, and clean the carb again. Verify that you have any mixture screws within the BandS specs.
I use an Oregon in-line spark tester to check the spark system. Look at the plug for the obvious issues. If the light is strong, compare to a well-running engine. If not, clean the flywheel and gap the opening to BandS specs. I would start with these items.
Hope this helps, make it purr, I’m sure I’ve forgotten some stuff,
Steve

So, several things. Rec90 is ethanol free 90 octane gasoline. The carb is still malfunctioning due to contaminants. Clean the tank, replace the fuel lines, filter, and clean the carb again. Verify that you have any mixture screws within the BandS specs.
I use an Oregon in-line spark tester to check the spark system. Look at the plug for the obvious issues. If the light is strong, compare to a well-running engine. If not, clean the flywheel and gap the opening to BandS specs. I would start with these items.
Hope this helps, make it purr, I’m sure I’ve forgotten some stuff,
Steve
Leaks are solved by replacing gaskets, and close inspection when removing the current ones.

Frisco57

A friend who worked on small engines before he retired from maintenance dept. for the local school district enlarged one of the ports behind the carburetor jet. My old B&S 5 horse runs great! I rode the Streaker all around the pits for three days at the races last weekend!