Flywheel magnets

I dropped my flywheel for my HS40 magnets fell out one broken. Are the magnets supposed to be in a certain order and need one replacement magnet.need so assistance from an expert out there kurt

I'm not an expert by any means, but I have replaced loose magnets on my 8 hp tecumseh.

I used a two part epoxy for metal. You should be able to see the spots they were originally attached. Put them back on those spots.

Regarding the broken one...if it did not shatter, I'd think you could epoxy both pieces down ? Here's where I hope the experts will come in.

Perhaps your could source a new magnet from another flywheel off a similar motor, or maybe one of the experts knows where to source them ?

Keep us posted, and good luck.

old shed finds

OMG guys don't glue these.... Please.
If you run like we do ..Full Throttle they will fly off like a bullet from a gun....just Ebay replacement flywheel. ...

markus

OMG guys don't glue these.... Please.
If you run like we do ..Full Throttle they will fly off like a bullet from a gun....just Ebay replacement flywheel. ...
If you run "full throttle" they will never fly off......It's when you come to a stop that the problem shows up. Since the magnets will be attracted to the stator plate, it will pull and possibly overtake the 35-45 year old epoxy glue that they used to install them. Go to pull the cord and "clunk" and locks up as the magnet wedges into the stator......not that its ever happened to me :p The lighted flywheels are most problematic since there is always pull on a magnet when at rest (plus they have a magnet and a metal shim glued to that).

Here's a visual aid.....pretend these little girls are magnets in the flywheel

for the OP, the magnets need to go in certain order. "south" needs to be the first to meet the stator as it spins around. You can use a compass to find S and N just bring the face side of the magnet up near the edge of one and it will draw to it. they also need to be right where they were on the flywheel in order to maintain proper timing. And if the flywheel was dropped, a real good inspection of it would be in order to make sure it didn't crack or go out of shape etc... Direct replacements are not available, ones off of donor flywheels are about your only option.

markus

VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!!!! I got the poles BACKWARDS North to South is the CORRECT orientation......I apologize for the dyslexic moment, been thinking about this all day if I had that right, and of course after double checking I was wrong!!!!!

for the OP, the magnets need to go in certain order. "south" needs to be the first to meet the stator as it spins around. You can use a compass to find S and N just bring the face side of the magnet up near the edge of one and it will draw to it. they also need to be right where they were on the flywheel in order to maintain proper timing. And if the flywheel was dropped, a real good inspection of it would be in order to make sure it didn't crack or go out of shape etc... Direct replacements are not available, ones off of donor flywheels are about your only option.

thanks posting board helpers no aha moment yet still need magnet from salvage/donor flywheel .not an easy one this time,maybe someone knows how to get a hold of superman and we can turn the earth back. one fix is as likely as the other at this point summer is just about over here in wi.

joshua. c.

sory what? 200$ are you insane! you can buy a new flywheel for a quarter of that. I question whether the hole motor is even worth that much, I only payed 150$ for a nearly complete 1970s bike that still had the original hs40 with a working lighting coil.

old shed finds

I'm sorry but its kinda gay they are glued in place... We run these bikes far away in steep hills and our Briggs engines are hot... I would be to afraid of the heat breaking down the glue..