Tri Rod help needed

Hi all. Newbie here. I just picked up this Tri Rod and know absolutely nothing about it other than it has a 8hp dual circuit electrical system. It also has dual shocks all around and a rear independent suspension. Anyone know if this is the original engine?? It looks like each rear brake has it's own lever?? Electric start. No seat. My u-joint is a big rubber donut (2). Any info on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
I don't know why it's sideways???

Attachments

Cuda54

Nice find! I have one like it and it has the 4 shocks and donuts too. The dual circuit would be would be one to the front and one to the rear lights. But I would run one to the battery and the other to the lights. I see you did not get the roll bar did you get the ski? The picture of mine is with my son driving he is 6' 2" and a little over 300. I do not have any pad on my seat it does have a snap ring around the seat. Mine had no engine so I put a 10hp Tech electric start on it. As far as I can find it is a early STR-381 nothing else has the 4 shocks.

Attachments

The picture is side ways because you took the picture with your phone "straight up and down". Ask me how I finally figured that out. Lol. Hold your phone sideways.

CaptNugget

They did come with an 8hp engine and at a quick glance everything seems pretty original
Looks to be in decent shape too.
i have one (that I need to freaking finish already) with a predator 420cc 13hp on it
Fairly simple overall, but nice find
7CC867C3-E034-44BE-B467-C0DEED022E2C.jpeg D4247328-1D7A-4115-83FB-B6D0AC23A60A.jpeg 9593EB16-66E0-426C-A78F-3EDE2F056917.jpeg D0A81F73-9573-456D-A3D0-90BC3667E018.jpeg

Nice find! Like Cuda54 said, it is a STR-381. I have one too. I had never seen one before I bought mine and the guys here have been very helpful whenever I had a question. FYI, the dual rear brakes help with sharp steering as well as stopping. It was BGW's method of dealing with the wide turning radius inherent with a trike. When you want to turn sharply, just brake on the side that is on the inside of the turn. Simple and effective, but nearly impossible to convert to disc, given the suspension on these. Someone in my trike's past disconnected one of them and added a front internal drum brake. It stops, but it won't stop in a straight line. I'll make it right, though.

@Poppa69, does yours happen to still have the serial number plate on the back bumper? Mine is long gone and I haven't been able to get a picture of what it should look like to get a reproduction made.

Here's an old picture of mine. I put a bigger motor (440cc) on it and added a key start since this was taken.

View media item 150613
View media item 150614

Nice find! Like Cuda54 said, it is a STR-381. I have one too. I had never seen one before I bought mine and the guys here have been very helpful whenever I had a question. FYI, the dual rear brakes help with sharp steering as well as stopping. It was BGW's method of dealing with the wide turning radius inherent with a trike. When you want to turn sharply, just brake on the side that is on the inside of the turn. Simple and effective, but nearly impossible to convert to disc, given the suspension on these. Someone in my trike's past disconnected one of them and added a front internal drum brake. It stops, but it won't stop in a straight line. I'll make it right, though.

@Poppa69, does yours happen to still have the serial number plate on the back bumper? Mine is long gone and I haven't been able to get a picture of what it should look like to get a reproduction made.

Here's an old picture of mine. I put a bigger motor (440cc) on it and added a key start since this was taken.

View media item 150613
View media item 150614
Nice find! I have one like it and it has the 4 shocks and donuts too. The dual circuit would be would be one to the front and one to the rear lights. But I would run one to the battery and the other to the lights. I see you did not get the roll bar did you get the ski? The picture of mine is with my son driving he is 6' 2" and a little over 300. I do not have any pad on my seat it does have a snap ring around the seat. Mine had no engine so I put a 10hp Tech electric start on it. As far as I can find it is a early STR-381 nothing else has the 4 shocks.
Cuda54 , No roll bar , no ski. I think the ski would be cool. So...do you have a Cuda??

Metalhead1982 , Is this my son ??? He's a metalhead and born in '82. lol
Thanks for the brake tip. Some of that tag is still there , I'll look again this weekend as I will be in the garage anyway.

Is there anyway to figure out what year mine is ? Or engine size ? According to the Briggs code list , first or first 2 numbers designate engine size , mine starts out 190*** and I doubt it's 19hp. Thanks