Alexander Reynolds Project Thread

Well, my son and I got a little start on the project. I called a local powder coating fella and he said he'd blast it and coat it for $50, if I supply the powder. That seems cheap. Anyway, I have always known this MB as a dark green and a medium green metal flake seat. So, I ordered some dark green from Eastwood. Well, we started removing a few things from the frame and underneath some thing was, what must be the original paint- medium green with flake. I called Eastwood but the order had already shipped.

Where can I get some medium green powder with metal flake? I may just use this dark green that's coming because that's what I've always known it as. Even the misc. pics I found of this particular Alexander Reynolds MB looks fairly dark.

And, where are you guys ordering things like tires, rims with sprockets, twist throttles, etc?

The rims have always been grey and as far as I can tell, that's factory, too. However, to let my son have some input he is insisting on white walls. I'm a whitewall guy, too, but I'm not sure they'd look good on grey and if I painted the rims red, then I think that would clash with the green. What are your thoughts? Pics would be great too!

Ok, we got an Eastwood powder coating system for Christmas, so we had to try it out. The front rim was the first victim.

Here's some shots of the rim, before...

Here's some shots after sandblasting, welding the old valve stem hole shut (rusted out badly, there's another flat spot on the opposite side I'll drill a new hole in)

Here's some shots of it flowing out in the oven

And here's the finished product. It turned out very nice. I learned a few things. I should have dressed the weld better, some spatter got by me and shows up, and there are a few areas that look to have light coverage.

I'll go to the swing arm next and I probably should post a pic of the rear rim with the solid mount sprocket to see if it's usable and if not......

Here are some shots of the swing arm we PC'd tonight. Lesson learned. On the rim, we cleaned it with rubbing alcohol and then prebaked it to off-gas it. On the swing arm, we wiped it down with rubbing alcohol but didn't off-gas it. Old black paint that was not visible after sandblasting was down in the folds of the steel, turned to a liquid and then dripped out. Not too bad but enough to be annoying. Lesson learned! Minibike Swing Arm.jpg Minibike Swing Arm 2.jpg

I'm excited about it. My 12yr old is learning a lot just from the process. Things he'll carry with him when I'm long gone lol. I'm excited for my kids to ride it, also.

I've got to find an engine, I'll be the hold up. Along with figuring out how to get these shocks apart and if they are rebuildable. Also got to find a replacement rim with a sprocket. This one is solid mounted and worn. Then, I've got to find another tire. I really like this tread pattern. I think I can save the one. The one I cut off (pics above) unfortunately had a chunk out of it or I probably could have saved it too.

Being that you can weld, you might consider cutting the sprocket off and welding a new one on, if the rim itself is in good shape. As for the tire, you can still find them in that pattern (trail with rounded edges) but I doubt you will find a vintage Carlisle in that shape without paying a fortune for it. If this is going to be a rider, I would save or sell the good one (assuming it is also a Carlisle), and just go with aftermarket tires.

Last, I found this thread with a picture of the same bike you have at the bottom of page 1. I thought you might want this for reference.

https://oldminibikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/arco-alexander-reynolds-mini-chopper.52786/

That's a great idea on selling this tire and just buying two new ones. I think this one will cleanup. I do like this tread pattern better than others, though.

I wouldn't care a bit to weld it but I'd feel more comfortable if I had access to a lathe to turn them both close in tolerance so I keep it running round.

Thanks for the link, that's pretty much what is should come out like....

Being that you can weld, you might consider cutting the sprocket off and welding a new one on, if the rim itself is in good shape. As for the tire, you can still find them in that pattern (trail with rounded edges) but I doubt you will find a vintage Carlisle in that shape without paying a fortune for it. If this is going to be a rider, I would save or sell the good one (assuming it is also a Carlisle), and just go with aftermarket tires.

Last, I found this thread with a picture of the same bike you have at the bottom of page 1. I thought you might want this for reference.

https://oldminibikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/arco-alexander-reynolds-mini-chopper.52786/