Baja mini 97cc Governor issue, need help

I have an older Baja 97cc that someone gave me for my son. The issue I am having is it appears the governor is not pulling the carb linkage back to idle after starting. I have reviewed numerous pics on here and it appears the linkages and springs are all correct.
The governor seems to operate when the engine is revved up, but just will not pull all the way back to idle. It stays at about a 12o'clock position (sticking straight up) instead of returning to the 11:00 position. Can the governor be adjusted or is there possibly a spring broke within the case?

Thanks for any insight.

I have an older Baja 97cc that someone gave me for my son. The issue I am having is it appears the governor is not pulling the carb linkage back to idle after starting. I have reviewed numerous pics on here and it appears the linkages and springs are all correct.
The governor seems to operate when the engine is revved up, but just will not pull all the way back to idle. It stays at about a 12o'clock position (sticking straight up) instead of returning to the 11:00 position. Can the governor be adjusted or is there possibly a spring broke within the case?

Thanks for any insight.
Have you looked through enough youtube videos to be sure of your set-up? The spring set-up on all small engines are touchy, and a little weakness can cause the acceleration and or de-acceleration to lag. Clean and degrease all parts and have another close look.
You’ll get it.

SeanB

Thanks for any insight.

SeanB

I am literally having the same exact issue. It stalls once the choke is off. The carb linkage doesn’t move much at all. Let me know if you find a fix and I’ll do the same

I am literally having the same exact issue. It stalls once the choke is off. The carb linkage doesn’t move much at all. Let me know if you find a fix and I’ll do the same
All of these 97cc engines don't like to run with the choke off. The manual actually says that it's recommended to run the engine on half choke at all times lol. I attached a screenshot from the manual.

Screenshot_20200110-124434~2.png

All of these 97cc engines don't like to run with the choke off. The manual actually says that it's recommended to run the engine on half choke at all times lol. I attached a screenshot from the manual.

View attachment 254982
It's hilarious that they put that in the manual. Apparently they were jetted so lean (maybe for CARB certification) that they wouldn't run right without the choke. Partially choked, they would produce more emissions than what they were certified at... was VW involved? ;)

It's hilarious that they put that in the manual. Apparently they were jetted so lean (maybe for CARB certification) that they wouldn't run right without the choke. Partially choked, they would produce more emissions than what they were certified at... was VW involved? ;)
Lol it's very possible!

Anytime i use one of these engines, i just drill the main jet 1 or 2 sizes up. Still a dog, but at least i can run it with the choke all the way off

I74

I just pull the side case & take the Governor out.
Harbor Freight has an spring assortment that you can use for around 3 bucks, to make proper action for the throttle.
I