Go Kart Cycle Big Bear Scrambler

I'm not a 100% certain but I think there's a post welded to the lower fork leg that the spring threads onto. Try the "Media" tab at the top of the page, maybe someone has some fork pictures there?.

If he only knew I would have gave him at least $1,000.00 more for it, he wouldn't stop kicking himself in the butt for days. I find it odd that nobody here bought it or else they would have posted about it. Those bikes aren't just something someone buys for their grandchildren to run around the yard when they visit. You have to have a certain liking for them, like the folks here do. I am also surprised that it or it's parts haven't found their way to eBay. Hopefully @RideSF or someone who appreciates them got it, all I know is, I didn't :(.
There are two collectors that I know of in Cali that aren't forum members. One of them owns my old one. My guess is one of them got it...

Do you know how the springs are attached to the lower legs?
Machined slugs which the axle slides into, to which the springs are forced on by twisting and retained by friction. Smaller slugs fit into the top of the fork and are retained by bolt and nut.

There are two collectors that I know of in Cali that aren't forum members. One of them owns my old one. My guess is one of them got it...
Hi Chad. The "pulley" went to the East Coast, the remnants of the frame will probably grace a recycle bin.

PatrickCraik

Not the "first" minibike made, but one of the first produced in 1959-60
The Doodlebug was made in '46,although called a scooter,definitely a mini bike. The name wasnt thought of yet. The Michrinas of Detroit were making minis in '59,maybe '58. So many regional makers, just like cars of the early 20th century, tough to say which was 1st

Here is a link to an article posted by Markus some time ago. The article was written by Lynn Wineland who at the time was the editor of Rod and Custom magazine.

The term "mini-bike" hyphen and all was first coined by Wineland in Rod and Custom as they were launching promotional ads and articles for an upcoming event dubbed "Tiny Bear Run. Also, I miss-spoke above. Livingstone's Go Kart Cycle beat Pierson's "Flea" out the door by a week.

By the time the Michrinas were building their first three bikes, Go Kart Cycle already had two models in production, Flea had at least one, and Caper Cart had produced the Caper Cycle.

For those interested in the subject, check out the article, as it's as illuminating from someone who was there, and involved in the "sport" especially later on with John Steen in the development of their kits and later on "Taco" brand. Thanks for the scan Markus, I've referred to it several times.

https://oldminibikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/who-invented-the-minibike.57166/post-907473

sonerenos

Can anyone please measure the witdth of the the top and bottom sections of the big bear frame please.
i am sure this request wont be obtained easily. once you start reproducing these, the originals will be mistaken for your repops. those bikes hold a pretty high value to them, and reproductions will only decrease that value (in my opinion). your best bet is to find and purchase an original. once you do, and you build the reproduction frame, what are you going to do about the brake and sprocket that are unobtainable? how about those 5" go powers that no one wants to let go of?

heres a possible solution to your request.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/for/d/el-segundo-flexo-mini-bike-frame/7083687293.html

Attachments

i am sure this request wont be obtained easily. once you start reproducing these, the originals will be mistaken for your repops. those bikes hold a pretty high value to them, and reproductions will only decrease that value (in my opinion). your best bet is to find and purchase an original. once you do, and you build the reproduction frame, what are you going to do about the brake and sprocket that are unobtainable? how about those 5" go powers that no one wants to let go of?

heres a possible solution to your request.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/for/d/el-segundo-flexo-mini-bike-frame/7083687293.html
Thanks for the photos .... I'm not copying a big bear I'm scaling up a Tom Thumb and just wanted to know the width of the top and bottom frame for seat width and engine mount width. I agree with you on getting a real big bear however I just can't seem to locate one, wish I kept the one I had as a kid that I bought for $15