I'm so old I can remember when...

I74

I'm so old I saw Vanishing Point when it came to the local theater and all I wanted was a white 70 Challenger when I got my license ( I ended up with a 60 falcon)
That poor 70' R/T Challenger sure went thru the ringer.
If you look closely at the aftermath of when the car hit the Dozer though,, it looks like a crumpled up Camaro, not a Challenger.
I had a ''rare'' 71' SE Challenger once.
That had the smaller back window with the soft top, & wicked cool overhead console.
What I paid for that whole car back in the day,, you couldn't even get a grill center section now for that price.
Mopars,, I always said that they were the ''poor kids'' Hot rods,, & always knew that someday they would be worth a fortune.

Added,,
I even remember seeing a really nice Superbird for sale on the side of the road, around the mid to later 70's,, for $3000 bucks ! :oops:

Last edited:

f4radar

That poor 70' R/T Challenger sure went thru the ringer.
If you look closely at the aftermath of when the car hit the Dozer though,, it looks like a crumpled up Camaro, not a Challenger.
I had a ''rare'' 71' SE Challenger once.
That had the smaller back window with the soft top, & wicked cool overhead console.
What I paid for that whole car back in the day,, you couldn't even get a grill center section now for that price.
Mopars,, I always said that they were the ''poor kids'' Hot rods,, & always knew that someday they would be worth a fortune.
There was a new lemon twist Superbird at the Plymouth dealership on our bus route. That thing sat there all year and we joked about who would cruise that thing down main street.. I did paint my 60 falcon Plum Crazy, 140ci, 3 on the tree, fasted car in town from 0-5MPH.

Last edited:

I74

There was a new lemon twist Superbird at the Plymouth dealership on our bus route. That thing sat there all year and we joked about who would cruise that thing down main street.. I did paint my 60 falcon Plum Crazy, 140ci, 3 on the tree, fasted car in town from 0-5MPH.
I wouldn't even think twice about it on the Superbird.
Those Rapid transit & Scat pack colors were the coolest ever. :cool:
They were pretty much like all the colors in a bag of Skittles. LOL

Last edited:

Man first walked on the moon on this day, July 20, 1969. I was at Boy Scout camp at Spirit Lake, Wash. Where were you on that day?

I was almost 9…. In a uhaul headed back east from California to West Virginia…on Rt 66 with a dad that would stop if he had a flat….no
Air conditioning…a pound of bologna and a loaf of bread….and a 3 pound coffee can to pee in….good times!

Man first walked on the moon on this day, July 20, 1969. I was at Boy Scout camp at Spirit Lake, Wash. Where were you on that day?

Well in '69 I was having one of my best summers after graduating from hi-school. And Spirit Lake is in my backyard now just a bit into Idaho but its on the way to my son's house in Post Falls, Idaho.

When Skateboards were wood, narrow and short. With regular old skate trucks on them. Had 4 notches ground in the bottom from turning and the wheels grinding in the wood.
oh man. back in 1968 we had a concrete driveway that had about 5' drop down to the road. our plywood skateboards had walnut wood wheels. we hit a pebble on the way down and did head-dives into the concrete, if we missed all the pebbles we risked getting hit by a car. i firmly believe parents, back then, used this method to 'thin the herd'.

around this time my parents made liver for dinner twice a month. i hated liver and vowed i would never eat it. the rule in our house was that if you didnt eat all your dinner you go straight to bed, no dessert. so those two days when i came home from school and smelled liver i would just go straight to my bedroom bypassing the disgusting liver dinner regardless of the dessert.

years later i figured out my parents made liver whenever they wanted a night of sex. i was a slow learner...