montgomery ward mini bike

ben10

I bought a mini bike at a flea market, the person I bought it from did a crappy spray can paint job on it, overspraying and got paint on the beautiful name plate.I want to strip the paint off. The engine starts but doesn't idle. I am trying to find a photo of how the original looks like. im thinking of either working on this motor or replacing it. I need help on which throttle cable set I need for this. thanks IMG_9356.jpeg EDA16DA4-4D01-417F-966D-2E1F802CFDC0.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited:

2old2care

Why is it, that when people want to sell some old vintage machine (And it doesn't matter what kind) , they always paint it blue ?

Last edited:
Interesting mix of parts there. Gilson bike badged for Montgomery Wards. General Appliance Astro flat spoke front wheel. Judging by the sprocket I'm guessing the rear wheel is the original Bosch to the bike. Does it have the band brake setup on the left side? Single speed jackshaft?

ben10

Interesting mix of parts there. Gilson bike badged for Montgomery Wards. General Appliance Astro flat spoke front wheel. Judging by the sprocket I'm guessing the rear wheel is the original Bosch to the bike. Does it have the band brake setup on the left side? Single speed jackshaft?
I will have to check, the bike is at my friends house, he is trying to get it running for me. He had a taco when he was a kid.

ben10

Attachments

colt 1911

I bought a mini bike at a flea market, the person I bought it from did a crappy spray can paint job on it, overspraying and got paint on the beautiful name plate.I want to strip the paint off. The engine starts but doesn't idle. I am trying to find a photo of how the original looks like. im thinking of either working on this motor or replacing it. I need help on which throttle cable set I need for this. thanks View attachment 291483 View attachment 291485
find someone to remove the paint from the clutch cover. i believe it is chrome

Lizardking

The flat spoke wheels are one of my favorites after the the Mickey wheels! Gilsons are nice bikes.

Would easy off oven cleaner remove that paint? I believe someone on here mentioned that on an old post I read.

Any update on this Gilson? Did you try the oven cleaner to remove the paint?

TAV=Torque converter
No I have not tried that oven cleaner to remove the paint yet Mini Bike is at my friends house He’s working on the motor and putting a new Tire on it he’s retired now so he wanted to work on my mini bike