Trailblazing Horse roller find! Have some Questions.

Lizardking

Found this General Appliance Trailblazer roller and have been searching for info. Will most likely be a custom build unless I find the missing parts.

Everything points to a Montgomery Wards with what's left of the original all white seat(someone put black tape on it) with the sweet 6 inch Manco wheels. From all the pictures that I've seen none had the band brake on the Jack shaft unless I missed it.

Is it a Trailblazer model 500 or ? 1969-72? Any info will be appreciated. Scratching this one off my list.
20220810_121003.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Lizardking

I don't know what it is but looks like a good start!
Thanks, this is the first Trailblazer I see out here in SoCal since I got bit by the mini bug 2 yrs ago. I've seen 1 Trail Horse come up for sale. Bonanzas are plentiful out here but couldn't pass this bike up and like the stance on the Trailblazer better.

Last edited:

Lizardking

That is a great start for a project, at least it has the fenders and a nice pair of rims.
It still has the original serial number tag under the paint on the frame under the seat and the original kill switch as well. Fenders, wheels, seat for patern, 3 angle kick stand and jack shaft with the band brake are a plus. Going to try and clean up the fenders and front end to see how bad the chrome is.

Looks like the original paint was red with chrome front end if that helps to Identify the model.

Last edited:

pomfish

Bike was a 2 speed and prev owner used creative engineering to use the Torque converter.
You can see how they flipped the swingarm mounting plate on it's side and made new bracket to hold it together.
Manco wheel may to have been used to line up chain with the shimming for the band brake deal.
The factory wheels seem wider with factory tire than what the Mancos are.
They came with 5hp Tec small block or big block, the big block ones have footpegs that stick way out to clear the wider block.
Also came with and without extra shocks outboard on front forks, yours is without.

I have one bone stock with small block and factory 2 speed and it is a cool very long style frame.
Color is Orangy/Red
HTH

Later,
Keith

Found this General Appliance Trailblazer roller and have been searching for info. Will most likely be a custom build unless I find the missing parts.

Everything points to a Montgomery Wards with what's left of the original all white seat(someone put black tape on it) with the sweet 6 inch Manco wheels. From all the pictures that I've seen none had the band brake on the Jack shaft unless I missed it.

Is it a Trailblazer model 500 or ? 1969-72? Any info will be appreciated. Scratching this one off my list.
View attachment 292946

The Rabbit bites again... Lol ;) I'm diggin it! :scooter:

Lizardking

Bike was a 2 speed and prev owner used creative engineering to use the Torque converter.
You can see how they flipped the swingarm mounting plate on it's side and made new bracket to hold it together.
Manco wheel may to have been used to line up chain with the shimming for the band brake deal.
The factory wheels seem wider with factory tire than what the Mancos are.
They came with 5hp Tec small block or big block, the big block ones have footpegs that stick way out to clear the wider block.
Also came with and without extra shocks outboard on front forks, yours is without.

I have one bone stock with small block and factory 2 speed and it is a cool very long style frame.
Color is Orangy/Red
HTH

Later,
Keith
Thanks for the info! Are you saying these wheels and band brake on the Jack shaft are not original? I was told they are original and have read that some did come with the band brake on the Jack shaft and Manco wheels. I didn't think that torque converter and brackets were originally there either and might just leave as is and make it work.

Orang/Red color fits. I thought the red peaking out from under the paint was faded.

The ID tag under the seat should be a foil based sticker. I have been able to clean them off before and read the imprint of the model number. I would say the bike looks mostly correct other than the addition of the TAV. Wheel and tire size as well as the white seat should mean it was badged as a Wards but as we have found in this hobby, when they were built at Beer-Thirty on a Friday, whatever was in the parts bin could have been used. IT could have been badged as a Gamble- Aldens bike as well but I have only seen them with a blue frame so far...

Lizardking

The ID tag under the seat should be a foil based sticker. I have been able to clean them off before and read the imprint of the model number. I would say the bike looks mostly correct other than the addition of the TAV. Wheel and tire size as well as the white seat should mean it was badged as a Wards but as we have found in this hobby, when they were built at Beer-Thirty on a Friday, whatever was in the parts bin could have been used. IT could have been badged as a Gamble- Aldens bike as well but I have only seen them with a blue frame so far...
Thanks for clearing that up for me on the Manco wheels and band brake on the Jack. The person I got it from said he thought it was originally blue. I will take a closer look at it but the person did say it was a Trailblazer.

What did you use to clean up the paint off the foil sticker? I was thinking of using easyoff oven cleaner for the fenders and front end.

Thanks for clearing that up for me on the Manco wheels and band brake on the Jack. The person I got it from said he thought it was originally blue. I will take a closer look at it but the person did say it was a Trailblazer.

What did you use to clean up the paint off the foil sticker? I was thinking of using easyoff oven cleaner for the fenders and front end.
EZ Off can work but do it in short time frames. Soak for 5 minutes and clean it off. Re-apply if needed and do it again. That's the best way I have found to creep up on preserving something without overdoing it.
I currently have two Trailblazer's that were factory band brake on the jackshaft... These are my favorite bikes by far and I've owned quite a few!

Lizardking

EZ Off can work but do it in short time frames. Soak for 5 minutes and clean it off. Re-apply if needed and do it again. That's the best way I have found to creep up on preserving something without overdoing it.
I currently have two Trailblazer's that were factory band brake on the jackshaft... These are my favorite bikes by far and I've owned quite a few!
Cool beans! Will do as you say with the EZ off for the sticker and painted chrome. The 3 angle kick stand is correct too and do you know what model it is?

First mini bike I bought was a trail horse wizard…still have it….my true hot rod mini….I was lucky enough to get a complete gto 1400 trail horse Minibikephil….they are an adult bike in my opinion, very comfortable for an old fat man…..and I MAY have an extra original two speed jack shaft….maybe, I’ll have to look if you’re interested….

Lizardking

First mini bike I bought was a trail horse wizard…still have it….my true hot rod mini….I was lucky enough to get a complete gto 1400 trail horse Minibikephil….they are an adult bike in my opinion, very comfortable for an old fat man…..and I MAY have an extra original two speed jack shaft….maybe, I’ll have to look if you’re interested….
I remember you scoring that Trail Horse and it came out nice! After drooling over your bike I decided to move it to position 1 on my list. I'm happy with it even though it didn't come with the nice 5 spoke wheels. Mancos are in the same category of nice wheels in my book though!.

Thanks for the offer and will keep it in mind if I decide to go most all original.