Honda G28 ...Weird Engine?

Minimichael

I picked this up today and I'm excited about it because it's so unusual... PXL_20220911_023434550.jpg I've never seen one, at least. PXL_20220911_023411739.jpg And I really like messing with 3hp engines; not that I'd mess with it... PXL_20220911_023516888.NIGHT.jpg It's like a small box. It's sideways. And it's super-duper quiet. PXL_20220911_023456263.NIGHT.jpg So it has an awkwardness, and might be perfect for my new awkward frijole frame I've always half-regretted buying ...until now!
PXL_20220911_023428028.jpg Anybody know things about these engines? I'd appreciate your comments!

Last edited:
Nice find Michael !

I don't know anything about them, but think it's a neat looking, compact package.

And there's something about super quit, that sounds appealing.

Minimichael

I've only glanced online so far.. .maybe getting the impression it didn't see a lot of production in the States..

And yeah, it's crazy how quiet this thing is.

So, since it has an overhead cam and the name 'general purpose', I'm thinking precursor to the Honda gc/gx series?

I guess it began production in '69...

Last edited:

Minimichael

they were used on a belt drive generator. looks like overhead valve
Yes, I'm seeing that too. ...kinda makes sense now why it's so quiet.

The thing is, if parts for this engine are hard to come by then I'd just as soon leave it in the corner of the garage, rather than abuse it and not be able to rebuild for lack of available new old stock ...just haven't had time here. Hell I still haven't opened it up or even run it longer than a minute or two. It may need a rebuild already...:rolleyes:

Last edited: