Search results

1. 65ShelbyClone

Clear float bowl?

You can also use a piece of clear hose on the bowl drain as a sight tube. Secure the open end somewhere well above the carb and open the bowl drain screw to see the fuel level.
  2. 65ShelbyClone

Clear float bowl?

Lectron carbs have come with/been available with sorta-clear float bowls for a few decades and they last a long time. I write jet sizes on the side of the bowl. Remember that China doesn't care how long those things will last as long as they sell more than they warranty.
  3. 65ShelbyClone

High Performance Mods for my 1.75hp flathead Briggs

Yes, but you'll have to be really careful trying it with hand tools. Usually it's done on a lathe or valve grinding machine.
  4. 65ShelbyClone

High Performance Mods for my 1.75hp flathead Briggs

Looks like those valves have a lot of room for a back cut and polishing. Maybe if you're using a boring head and trying to figure out how much cutter adjustment will affect the diameter, but that's not the case here. Taking 0.010" off the inside diameter will increase the diameter by 0.010"...
  5. 65ShelbyClone

Shaved eyebrows

As I recall, I was trying to duplicate what had been done with flathead Ford engines of the 1930s which are hardly different. Milling the head of a flathead tends to decrease flow and deck porting I think is intended to get some of the reduced flow area back between the deck and head.
  6. 65ShelbyClone

Honda G28 ...Weird Engine?

Put it on a hosting site like youtube and either embed it here in a post or provide the link.
  7. 65ShelbyClone

Shaved eyebrows

I did it to a 10hp Briggs a long time ago. Like this: Losing compression was fine because I hung a turbo on it with EFI. Unfortunately the oil ring broke and ruined the aluminum bore before I could really turn the screws to it.
  8. 65ShelbyClone

Welding with flux core

I'm going to disagree in that a novice is going to make bad welds with either one and flux core is easier and cheaper to practice with. The skills learned with it will then carry over to MIG. However, the MIG process requires more amps to get the same penetration which is why small 110v wire...
  9. 65ShelbyClone

How hot do you run?

Keep in mind that consumer infrared heat guns don't read accurately when pointed at reflective, transparent, or very lightly-colored surfaces. If you want a better way to spot-check something like oil temperature, get an inexpensive pocket thermometer with a 1" dial face that goes up to ~220°F.
  10. 65ShelbyClone

Has anyone tried to tillotson tft?

I missed that the TFB version is described as larger than the TCT. I'd be more inclined to try it, but neither say what the throat diameter is(because it's an irregular shape) nor have a throat diameter equivalent. I should add that they also say it improves torque. Based on the definition of...
  11. 65ShelbyClone

Has anyone tried to tillotson tft?

Similar devices have existed for decades. And decades. The TCT isn't mechanical injection; it's just another type of carburetor. If you look at Tillotson's site, it is designed primarily to improve emissions and starting.
  12. 65ShelbyClone

Paul's Karts Head

Trivia: If you've ever wondered what that stands for, it's "Fischer Aktiengesellschaft." It is a bearing company founded by Friedrich Fischer in the middle 1800s which of course predates the modern meaning if pronounced as an acronym. The brand is now owned by INA. They're good bearings IMO.
  13. 65ShelbyClone

38deg timing And Retard Cam What are the pros and cons

Retarding cam timing will shift the power curve higher in the rev range. 1° very roughly moves it 50-100rpm. It's used more for fine-tuning an engine combination and power delivery and not so much for realizing big gains.
  14. 65ShelbyClone

In Search of Predator 420cc Torque Camshaft

Could also adapt the silencer from a 150-250cc 4-stroke dirt bike if you don't need a spark arrester like we do out in the southwest. Easy to do, sort-of to not really. Easy to do well, no.
  15. 65ShelbyClone

In Search of Predator 420cc Torque Camshaft

They come with that camshaft...
  16. 65ShelbyClone

NOS... is anybody sprayin'?

You haven't bothered to search. There are lots of threads and pictures on OldMiniBikes already.
  17. 65ShelbyClone

Take me to engine School...

Comparable, not identical.
  18. 65ShelbyClone

Take me to engine School...

Predator shortblocks are all comparable. The non-hemi head has more build potential and is less difficult to get bigger flow numbers from. The hemi head also limits valvetrain options due to the shorter valves and integral rocker pedestals.
  19. 65ShelbyClone

Crushed Spark Plug, WTF?

I'd bet that there's some major carnage if you pull the cylinder head. Dropping a valve usually means serious damage to the piston and head when it's bad enough to mangle the spark plug.
  20. 65ShelbyClone

79cc Predator engine mods help

I learned something. Still though, I wonder how long the stock rod and flywheel last with a modded engine that has every upgrade but those two things.