Search results

1. firemarshal71

Happy Thanksgiving (a day late)

I've been gone a while but just logged in and renewed my subscription. Miss the projects and great people in this forum. Good to be back and I've got a ton of unfinished projects that my wife claims need to be running or gone. (I've recently procured a second storage unit just in case, lol)...
  2. firemarshal71

Anything Goes! FM71 2019 chopper

I'm in. Been a while since I played along and I need to purge my shop of extra parts. I've always favored the scratch builds and can't seem to get enough of the chopper style so here goes. Going to enter a scratch built chopper for my 2019 build. I'm attempting to keep the design simple with...
  3. firemarshal71

Just renewed my 6th year membership

Just wanted to say thanks for maintaining such a great site. I've been away for a while but I still occasionally check in on here and see what's been going on. Glad to see the annual build off is still a thing and I look forward to following the progress that others are making. Thanks again...
  4. firemarshal71

Fm71's OldMiniBikes-16 just for fun ( quad revisited)

I've decided to submit a project for this year's build off in the J4F class. This is a quad project I abandoned back in 2013 due to having some issues with the suspension and steering I had fabricated. Going to tear out the front end and rebuild and install a reverse gear drive and swing arm...
  5. firemarshal71

Successful 79cc engine swap on Motovox

Hello, Been a while since I posted any progress on my projects and thought I would share another father/son project. Sometime last fall, my son's Motovox engine finally took a dump and we found a crack in the bottom of the engine casing. We already have another Motovox with the 212cc and know...
  6. firemarshal71

Fm71's OldMiniBikes-15 scratch-build step-thru chopper

After a brief period off, I am back and ready to build another bike. My son, Rob (age 10), was the one who inspired me and took an interest in wanted to build something new. He asked me if we could build a large scale stand-up style scooter similar to a razor design but we settled and...
  7. firemarshal71

HS50 Valve keeper/spring question

Last winter my snowblower (10 years old) gave out one last backfire and then wouldn't start. Good thing it was the last real snowstorm of the year. There was no compression as observed from the starting cord spinning over effortlessly so I put it away and was reintroduced to the snow shovel...
  8. firemarshal71

Backyard Ponds

Taking a momentary pause from working/fabricating on my minibike (and related) projects to do some work around the house. Been replacing my hardwood floors, getting the garage/shop setup for some new equipment, and working on the backyard putting in a small pond. We have a few aquariums in the...
  9. firemarshal71

1000 th Posting

Funny, just a couple months ago, I made a comment that I don't know how someone can find the time to post so much but here I am biting my tongue at my 1000th posting. This forum/site has been very informative and I have enjoyed my short stay here. Hopefully I was able to contribute in a...
  10. firemarshal71

Carb identify help on B&S 3HP

Hey guys, going to broaden my knowledge and thought I would take a shot at trying to get this Briggs3HP engine running for a later project. I tore it down last night as far as I could get it but wanting to replace the carb that is shown in the photo. A previous owner welded some linkages and...
  11. firemarshal71

FireMarshal71's OldMiniBikes-2014 (Scratch) Scooter Build

Happy New Year OldMiniBikes! Attaching a couple pics of my scratch build scooter for the 2014 build-off. The scooter was designed on JD2 software and inspired by exile motorcycles and a vintage 60's era Savage scooter. Based mostly from the savage profile but in larger proportions to the tires and...
  12. firemarshal71

Can't stop doodling minibikes

Please tell me I'm not the only one that does this. Lately (for the past several years) I have been filling notebooks and random pieces of paper with designs for minibikes. I think my doodles have evolved from 30 yrs ago drawing house plans as an architecture student to wooden boats while...
  13. firemarshal71

Summer '13 Quad Project

Well having some serious bike building withdrawals and need to keep myself busy until next years OldMiniBikes-14 build off starts. Already have a plan and gathering materials but for the summer I'm going to scratch build a mid-sized quad. Still itching toward putting the barrow tub in like some of the...
  14. firemarshal71

Live axle bearing "nipple" question

Just ordered and received a 1" live axle setup from BMI. I can't figure out what the little "nipple" is on the bearing outside race or why the bearing flanges won't go over it when bolted to the mount. Secondly, is there a reason why one of the flanges would be stamped "C" and the other "D"...
  15. firemarshal71

axle tube question

hi guys, for those who fabricate their own axle tubes and hubs, what size tube are you using in order to slip a standard 5/8 bearing 1 3/8 OD? I was wondering if I use this "1-5/8 OD x .120 wall x 1.385 ID" if there would be too much slop for the bearing. I am trying to avoid using a live...
  16. firemarshal71

Firemarshal71's Open Class Chopper

Well here goes, I wasn't sure if I even wanted to start this but over the past couple weeks had a lot to think about and realized I was going to do another build anyways so why not... I bought this "cough" 71 Rupp thinking I was going to do a vintage restoration but after consulting with a...
  17. firemarshal71

TAV-2 Torq a verter dimensions?

Can somebody give me the distance between the driven and driver (on centers) for this torque converter? Also, Is the driven mounted on a 5/8 shaft? I'm trying to set up a system on a custom build but not use the backing/mounting plate. My jackshaft and engine will remain stationary...
  18. firemarshal71

Is this a good deal? 1971 Rupp

A guy down the road from me has this for sale. I'm not a 'vintage" guy and dont know much about the value of these particular bikes but for $400 is it worth it? Thanks.
  19. firemarshal71

Considering Building a Homebuilt Bike

So after reading quite a few threads, gathering 100's of minibike photos, and modifying my current minibike, I decided I want to build a style of my own with my own frame using whatever parts I can find locally (with minor exceptions) on a limited budget. I'm an older guy but not a big fan of...
  20. firemarshal71

Motovox 212 install with frame modifications

Hi group. Bought a MBX10 for my 10yr old son for christmas and liked it so much that I bought a second frame ($109 from Motovox) to modify and install a HF 212cc engine. After reviewing several threads, I decided I did not want to spend $200+ for engine upgrades just so that it would fit in...