Search results

1. noseoil

azusa 10" wheels

Works very well on the red bike.
  2. noseoil

Hydraulic brake question

This was my fix & it does the job well enough.
  3. noseoil

Hey kiddo, I just replied to your thread about the bike rebuild. Let me know if there are more...

Hey kiddo, I just replied to your thread about the bike rebuild. Let me know if there are more questions & I'll help if I can. We're in Raton, NM, about 6 miles from the Colorado border off of I-25.
  4. noseoil

Help! First minibike rebuild

For general riding, a torque converter is really a nice way to go. It's faster on starts, better in hills & will still let you ride at about 40 mph on the open roads. A clutch is good for long roads at WOT & long runs, but it's not quite as good as a TC for off-road stuff. One thing you will...
  5. noseoil

Doodlebug - Stretch

It's 10:48 at this point, which ends up being 6,500 rpms @ 6,500' of elevation & the 15" rear tire for 60+ mph on a flat road. It pulls well to that speed, then maxes out trying to push the air out of the way. I'm losing about 20% of my hp with this thin air. It would run much better with...
  6. noseoil

Doodlebug - Stretch

Outside, after a ride. It's running pretty well & the engine is breaking in now.
  7. noseoil

Doodlebug - Stretch

I'm not sure, don't have marks to run it on on the pavement, but it's pulling well enough & runs up to 7,000 rpm's quickly now. It's a cheap motor the way it's built. To do better, I'd need to move more air through the motor; larger valves, carb, more compression & a taller cam would do it, but...
  8. noseoil

Doodlebug - Stretch

Maxed out, here's what it does now at 6,500' of elevation, it's pretty thin air up here. This is with the 22mm Chikuni, CM grind Hemi .265" lift cam, shaved & ported head, header & 15" tire with a 4.8:1 final drive ratio.
  9. noseoil

Doodlebug - Stretch

Got a new brake disc from Frank Franquez (F&B Racing) today & installed it. It's 1/8" stainless steel, perfect fit & nicely made easy swap. Also, the steering damper arrived early, so it's in place. Much stiffer steering now & tight with no slop at all!
  10. noseoil

Doodlebug - Stretch

The bronze bushings arrived earlier today. They are 3/8" ID X 1/2" OD with a flange on one side, so it's a good fit. Here's how it went, had to drill them out to 10mm (they were 3/8" so a few hundredths too small) to get the bolt to fit, then put things back together & do a little touch-up with...
  11. noseoil

"Before and After" pics

Before... After
  12. noseoil

Doodlebug - Stretch

Took the steering apart & ordered some bushings to fix the wobble in the front end. Basically, they're 3/8" ID X 1/2" OD flange bushings from McMaster-Carr & I drilled out the holes to 1/2" so once they arrive, I'll put things back together & add the steering damper while I'm at it. Should be...
  13. noseoil

Doodlebug - Stretch

Here's how it looks now, about done with the major stuff. Odds & ends are all that's left.
  14. noseoil

Doodlebug - Stretch

Finally got the idle jets in from my order & started playing around with the mixture setup. Needed a #20 on the idle jet & had to drop to a 90 for the main jet (6,500'). This is a weird combination for me, compared to other setups I've done up here. I guess the carbs are all a bit different on...
  15. noseoil

Doodlebug - Stretch

After putting in new bearings for the steering, I still have a lot of slop in the forks. The holes in the top & bottom plates appear to be really sloppy & drilled oversize. Since it was a basket case, I'm wondering if there are stepped washers which go in the forks (top & bottom) to take up the...
  16. noseoil

tire size

I'm running a 15" rear tire on the new stretch ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005O5USZI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ), not sure how big you need to go, but it fits well enough & runs. There's no problems mounting it with the frame members in place & in a normal...
  17. noseoil

Doodlebug - Stretch

Thanks, is there a supplier for thicker brake rotors with the 6 hole, 180mm X 37mm which is the thinner one on the Doodle Bug? It has good grip now & is firm with no slop at this point.
  18. noseoil

Doodlebug - Stretch

Finally got enough parts shipped up here to Raton to start the bike up yesterday for the first time. It started up pretty easily, but now the tuning starts. I'm running the Chikuni VM22. It's too lean with the pilot jet it came with (the #15), as the air screw on the bottom of the carb doesn't...
  19. noseoil

Crushed Spark Plug, WTF?

I had a piston ding the spark plug once, but that was at 8500 rpm with a modded motor & a very heavy piston (Bullfrog hemi predator piston at 11:1). Tore it down, a few new parts & it's back up & running again. I stay away from 8500 rpm now & don't go above 8000 with this motor. Yep, tear into...