Search results

1. DaddyJohn

New to mini bikes, I have some questions.

…or “voila!” in its native French. ;) Anyway, my advice is to buy a complete, used, Chinese mini bike (such as a Baja Doodlebug, Coleman, Monster/Mega Moto, etc.) and go from there. Used ones are usually inexpensive, and tend to need a little tinkering, which can help you get more involved and...
  2. DaddyJohn

Fantastic Read on Honda GX-series Design/Development

https://global.honda/en/heritage/episodes/1983thezeengine.html
  3. DaddyJohn

Vintage Arco minibike

Just Google image search “ARCO mini bike seat suspension” and you should see some examples. That said, ARCO built some with the seat just fastened flat to the top of the frame, even though the lower shock mounts were present on the frame. You’ll probably see that configuration in your search...
  4. DaddyJohn

Harbor freight sale

It’s funny that the original design of these Honda engines (and thus, their clones) goes back 40 years, though we think of them as “modern”. Maybe in the relative sense…:) https://global.honda/en/heritage/episodes/1983thezeengine.html
  5. DaddyJohn

Vintage Arco minibike

Looks pretty complete, other than missing the fuel tank and the seat being modified to do without the shocks. On the air cleaner, just unfasten it, rotate it 180-degrees, and reattach. :)
  6. DaddyJohn

Wheel Bearings Questions..

Like JimN mentioned, you might want to add some grease, as I’ve always found new Chinese bearings to be under-greased. I use one of those razor knives with the snap-off blades to work under the seal and pry it away without damaging it, add grease, then push the seal back in place. Easy-greasy…;)
  7. DaddyJohn

Never seen one till now

You can still find the odd Manco Big Cat for sale from time to time.
  8. DaddyJohn

My recent Baja Warrior Redo

Thanks you guys, I really appreciate it (coming from a bunch of aficionados such as yourselves). :D
  9. DaddyJohn

Throttle hook up Briggs model 13 and brake hook up parts needed

It’s definitely better to remove the internal gear and weights if that’s how your governor works (some have an external vane-type thing going on). I think the “hack” is to zip tie the governor arm down against the weight actuated plunger so it can’t advance and come off the shaft inside. Don’t...
  10. DaddyJohn

On pavement, they’re downright squirrely; probably the same on hard pack (haven’t ridden on that yet).
  11. DaddyJohn

It’s supposed to be the right seat, but don’t think any of them fit properly. I raised the front mount up about 1.25” with a piece of square stock, then welded metal supports under each of the rubber bumpers on the seat bottom. Usually, they just hang in space, leaving the seat unsupported and...
  12. DaddyJohn

I got this thing cheap, missing the back axle and adjusters, engine, rear fender, etc. I added a garbage night free pressure washer engine combined with Chinese TAV (raised engine 1/4” and re-angled the muffler), braced the frame neck and made some sheet metal panels to fill in the space. I...
  13. DaddyJohn

Also, yes, running without the governor and over-revving a Briggs flat-head can break the rod or make the flywheel come apart, just like on a Predator.
  14. DaddyJohn

Bend the tab in the left blue circle and add one of these cable adjusters.
  15. DaddyJohn

1974 Harley z-90 ignition issue

Not sure about the X90 specifically, but the light switch contact will probably also make in conjunction with the ignition switch contact (lights on when engine on). Also, not sure if the switch grounds to the body of the switch, or one of the contacts would be ground. You’ll have to...
  16. DaddyJohn

Then There’s This Gemini Scrambler B-4…

Another project in the works that I will probably resto-mod to some extent… It’s a bit rusty-crusty, but I’ve seen worse. Seat is roached, real HS40 mini bike engine is locked-up, but it’s mostly there. I found a set of handlebar riser tops from a Yamaha that fit and allowed me to mount the...
  17. DaddyJohn

Just got a Victor Mini-Scrambler!

Believe it or not, the wheels/brakes are not interchangeable, nor the handlebars. The wheels/brakes are stamped “Victor”, and the bars lack the slot/holes for internal slide-actuated throttle and cable. Also, they don’t have the lever perches integrally welded to them like the Z50. Highly...
  18. DaddyJohn

Honda Z50 model question

I don’t believe so. Here’s a full parts diagram to verify: https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/motorcycle/models-with-no-year/z50ak4-a?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwztOwBhD7ARIsAPDKnkA2bJ1OG1PYXW8pviEosMFC7dRKiraWirgA32mI51xhDCiBJAbAf6kaApodEALw_wcB
  19. DaddyJohn

Just got a Victor Mini-Scrambler!

As near as I can tell, it’s exactly the same, except in chrome. Chrome is pretty decent on this one. Should make it easy getting the mounting rubbers, petcock, and cap gasket.