.010, no scratch that .020 over HS50 :)

markus

I did an early HS50 .020 over bore for another member last week and I feel it came out pretty great actually. It was the first bore this large that I have done as of yet and I have to use different stones than I have been using due to size and the rough cut stones are aftermarket so I was not sure how things would turn out so I was pretty happy. Few days later I spot a .010 over assembly on ebay (2 actually, bought the pair and then got a refund for one right away as they messed up how many they had :confused:) which arrived yesterday while I was painting another engine.

Feeling big headed and cocky since the other one I just did came out better than I thought I grabbed a block I have had thats a little out of round and running a bit fat in the bore thats been sitting in a box for a few years. Start cuttin', rough cut stones got a little grabby at one point and the felts that keep the cutter centered suck on the aftermarket brand and made it hard to work with. so when I got to my target area to switch and use the fine cut stones I still had a little gouge visible after the final cut/run. It was down past the rings on the downstroke so It probably would have been a non issue. But, Thankfully I did have an alternative, so I started over and took a mulligan :D.....

IMG_2949.JPG

Kind of interesting, The .020 I had in stock that another member hooked me up with a few years back has the long skirt with the notched sides, The later made (but still early large bore/offset pinned) ones they deleted the skirts. The .020 that was sent in last week was a shorty as well like the .010 is on the right. the funny thing is I scanned right over the .010 on ebay awhile back becuase I thought it was for another engine due to it not having the skirts!

IMG_2947.JPG

2nd time around I took the aftermarket felts threw them across the shop and grabbed a set of genuine ammco's and just worked them in to fit with the stones, It works better but I am gonna keep my eyes open for set of genuine in that size.

Now this block is ready for the valve seat recuts, port cleanout, surface truing......and a new lease on life!

IMG_2946.JPG

markus

Had a chance to finish up the block work on this today. I have to get to some smaller h30’s and h35’s for some others and don’t have time to play with it just yet.
Went ahead and did the port deburring/shaping 4angle cut to seats and refaced some valves. Also straightend out the surfaces and greased the seats and mummified it for later use CFC76F5D-FDF7-4729-A419-F67022DB00A6.jpeg D6BCFF39-C7B6-4184-87F0-66E5DA9747DD.jpeg 564F5553-979E-440F-B0DB-EEDA341CE3AE.jpeg 8FB89311-DBA1-4153-9457-4F2F45063F3E.jpeg E6EDF4F2-9FB5-46B9-AF0B-4F42EA7266B7.jpeg

markus

Nice! Have you ever epoxied the intake port To get rid of that silly inner corner and kinda make it round?
I haven’t….yet. I usually just stick with stock stuff. I think delay said the Goodson brand was working well for him in another application for port filling/reshaping. I purchased a dellorto intake with hs50 flange and that would need to be stuffed/filled since it’s a round port Going in. I was thinking about maybe trying to make sort of a stuffer to tig on to it too though. It seems like a caverness area but it’s probably not big enough to make that work well….I was just staring at a stuffer intake on my bench for a west bend when that thought popped In my mind.