11 horsepower Doodlebug - dream or reality?

Ok, I've got the 6.5 horse Doodlebug which I like. It makes me want to know what it would be like to twist the throttle on a truly grunty 11 h.p. version. Has anyone built an 11 horse version with the Harbor Freight model 66492? (ok, other than that southern gentleman, er, redneck on youtube,,,)

I know it would be a project to fit it, and I'd like to remove the unecessary and heavy electric starter, but it seems to me that 4.5 more hp would be the definition of the word "blast." The 11 stallions are currently a big $299 at Harbor Freight - hopefully I could find one a little cheaper. The question: Is the 11 hp do-able or just a "mini dream?"

vette66_00

You could just simply take that 299 and but it toward mods that would put you over the 11hp range. Flywheel $100, Cam $70, Valve Springs $20, Jets $8 (depending on what jet you want), Rod $100 (a must if doing any mods) There you go over 11hp on your 6.5. Complete bolt on. As long as you have a intake and exhaust on it, Not stock, you should have around 12 hp with those mods.

For another $100 carb and adapter. You could be pushing 15hp. After that it gets super $$$ with porting, milling, and reliably go out the door.

Last edited:
I agree with vette66 upgrading your current clone would be better, you can get just as much HP as the 11 horse and it wouldnt be a boat anchor in your DB

I upgraded my doodlebug with a 11hp kit from N-R RACING it has a lot more mid to upper RPM pull now and only took about 1 hour to install. The only thing they neglect to tell you is that you will need a different throttle cable due to the mikuni carb, the cam drops right in place, the springs can be put on without removing the head by simply stuffing a small rope in the spark plug hole and bringing the motor up to TDC in about 5 min. -then set the valves to 3-5 thousandth clearance. The best part is the motor bolt pattern and clutch shaft size did not change like it would if I had installed a true 11 hp motor.

I'd agree that modifying the 6.5 is a better route. I picked up a couple of 11 horse clones NIB for $75eah, and I still put the 6.5 on the mini, just because the 11hp would be impractically massive and would have to be offset too far to the right side of the bike making it too unbalanced.

tomsprops

I also think that the 11HP motors won't Rev as fast ? Big ,Heavy,slow reving,also where's the battery go ?
Some engine work or a Tav-2 would better way to go .

Throttle cable

I upgraded my doodlebug with a 11hp kit from N-R RACING it has a lot more mid to upper RPM pull now and only took about 1 hour to install. The only thing they neglect to tell you is that you will need a different throttle cable due to the mikuni carb, the cam drops right in place, the springs can be put on without removing the head by simply stuffing a small rope in the spark plug hole and bringing the motor up to TDC in about 5 min. -then set the valves to 3-5 thousandth clearance. The best part is the motor bolt pattern and clutch shaft size did not change like it would if I had installed a true 11 hp motor.
What do you mean, You need a different throttle cable? U just need one wit a little Barrel or Ball on the end, AGK site tells you just how to do it. That is why I do not under stand why people soder a little ball at the end of the cable. The only Reason I can think is because the cables they buy just have the barrel part for the Grip part. If I am wrong please let me know, I just ordered a 22mm from AKG, and I do not need any more money being spent.:confused:

tomsprops

Mikuni Carbs need a Motorcycle styled cable . It will have a large horizontaly soidered barrel end for the grip . And a small vertically soidered barrel inside the carb .:thumbsup:

Oh, Well I just did not understand, At my local mini shop all my throttle cables I get Have a Barrel for the grip part and A Round ball on the otheAGK today and he said That is all you need to make it work.:thumbsup: The cable is $4.99 for 48inch

What do you mean, You need a different throttle cable? U just need one wit a little Barrel or Ball on the end, AGK site tells you just how to do it. That is why I do not under stand why people soder a little ball at the end of the cable. The only Reason I can think is because the cables they buy just have the barrel part for the Grip part. If I am wrong please let me know, I just ordered a 22mm from AKG, and I do not need any more money being spent.:confused:
In my area we have no cart or minibike shops only a few motercycle shops, so no one had the barrel end for the throttle. I just bought a triumph cable
and cut the housing back until it had full adjustment.

please post the part # and where I can order the barrel for the cable.

It is a local hardware/go kart shop. It is calles Studz Hardware in Dearborn Hgts MI, Here is there Phone Number. 313-563-1058 :thumbsup: They have both kind One that is made for hte mikuni carb,but need a special kind of grip ($20) of they have one with a Barrel by the throttle and a Ball for the "Carb/linkage end":scooter: I know you do not know me from anywhere but I Always take care of people hoping it comes back to me. So if you call and get the cable you want, get prices ect.. I will have you pay pal me the money and just ship it to you in a flat rate box:thumbsup::thumbsup:

cxbra

Ok, I've got the 6.5 horse Doodlebug which I like. It makes me want to know what it would be like to twist the throttle on a truly grunty 11 h.p. version. Has anyone built an 11 horse version with the Harbor Freight model 66492? (ok, other than that southern gentleman, er, redneck on youtube,,,)

I know it would be a project to fit it, and I'd like to remove the unecessary and heavy electric starter, but it seems to me that 4.5 more hp would be the definition of the word "blast." The 11 stallions are currently a big $299 at Harbor Freight - hopefully I could find one a little cheaper. The question: Is the 11 hp do-able or just a "mini dream?"
I think that engine would be better suited to a go-kart or something that doesnt have to balance on 2 wheels (haha). The main reason im stating is because the engine weighs 73 pounds!! The 6.5 engine weighs 34 pounds, thats a HUGE difference in cornering performance. If you modded the 6.5 to even 9hp im sure you would kill that 11hp in a race. The modded 6.5 would have a much better feel to it (throttle responce, more high rpm pull) than a stock 11hp also, but that 11hp would be a torque BEAST!

I think that engine would be better suited to a go-kart or something that doesnt have to balance on 2 wheels (haha). The main reason im stating is because the engine weighs 73 pounds!! The 6.5 engine weighs 34 pounds, thats a HUGE difference in cornering performance. If you modded the 6.5 to even 9hp im sure you would kill that 11hp in a race. The modded 6.5 would have a much better feel to it (throttle responce, more high rpm pull) than a stock 11hp also, but that 11hp would be a torque BEAST!
I put a 10 HP B/S engine with a motorcycle type carb onto a Harrison with a torque converter. It was crazy on take off. But. The heavy engine with a massive flywheel had strong vibration, and I did not dare take it over 4000 RPM. That much cast iron below my butt was too deadly.

20151226_133411.jpg

I threw a 301cc on mine with a TC... it flies. basically its a gx honda clone. got a Ebay TC for 1" shaft.

Don't let anyone tell you that you can't do it, or it will be too heavy, and better to spend your money on a 6.5. Having 11hp to start with- then mod from there is much better. just make sure you set your gearing. I'm now running a 16" tall rear tire with a 40 tooth rear sprocket. The TC makes it wheelie friendly. Also milled the head and put nitrous on it.

Have fun man

Whether or not the 11 horse versions rev as fast as the 6.5 horse versions, the 11 horse versions have the advantage of producing more torque, because of their higher reciprocating mass and heavier flywheels.
I wouldn't put one in a DB, though. The extra weight and width doesn't appeal to me.
Now, on something like a stretched Warrior or a Bad Dog ATV minibike with the huge balloon knobbies? Absolutely,
In fact, I'd put the 11 horse in it and build the snot out of it. (after upgrading the brakes, of course.
I'd even go so far as to put a 25 horse V-Twin in it.
But, in a DB? I'd build the snot out of a 6.5.
That may be what I do with my Warrior.
Either that, or stretch the frame, install Honda Fat Cat or ATC forks and relocate the rear axle to the underside of the frame (or install a Fat Cat swingarm)
Ya see, I want a Rokon badly. Not badly enough to pay over $7,000.00 + shipping. Hell, my street bike didn't cost that much brand new.
I figure I can build something that will do over 90% of what the Rokon will do, except for the driven front wheel, for a LOT less.

I've already got two 11 horse Honda GX340s with electric start and charge circuit. I figure I can build the snot out of them, and use motorcycle batteries. Plus, I can install LED lights and use it instead of a 4 wheel ATV at the hunting lease.