14cc head stock rod?

bandit 40

I don't see no reason why it wouldn't if your gov. still there :shrug:. Question is why bump up the compression at all with that being said.

I have the head.

The motor's brand new going on a go kart with 16" tires. I have a torque converter, candy cane exhaust and a high flow filter.
I wanted to swap the head now if it will hold up alright, and pull the governor when I swap the cam later on down the road.

Will I need to swap the rod out when I do the flywheel, cam and pull the governor?

It's just a fun cart. Shouldn't see more than 6000 rpms

The stock rod is junk, and it could break. You'll need to beef up your valve springs if you run a new cam. The type of can will determine what size springs to use. If you go up to 26lb springs, you might consider new valves and keepers. Going fast is expensive. Your valves will probably float before 6000 RPM's with the stock springs. I changed my stock rod when I did the flywheel and added the new head.

The rod is the weakest link. If your in the crankcase pulling parts and also doing the head its way easier to install the billet rod. I did just that on Tuesday. Removed everything I needed to and installed the billet rod. Some advice you might wish to consider, I'd pull the head before you order the rod. I ordered a stock length rod and when I tore it down I found the piston sits way down in the hole. I should have bought a .020 longer rod. The first one I built I ordered a long rod because most of them set low in the cylinder. Well the piston sat almost flush so I had to cut it down to be flush. If it wasn't such a pain I would tear them both down and swap the rods.