1947 Cushman "Step-Thru" Scooter

I just got this. I have to resist working on it so I have a project for next winter.
It is mechanically sound with a freshly rebuilt engine but the body is atrocious.
It came with a title so I can register it and drive it on the street, slowly due to the fact that it is severely under-powered. I really like the quirky look of it

Last edited:
It is only 4 HP with a 2 speed transmission, very underpowered for such a heavy bike. Engine is original and has a kick-start which I think is pretty cool. I always take lots of time and care with any project I do. The last car I built took me 5 years. The one before it took 7 1/2 years. This will be a nice project and should keep me busy during the cold winter months. I fully expect to start in December and finish in March or April but if it takes longer, so be it. I find that I enjoy the journey more than the destination. Color scheme will be same as my 1959 Nesh Metropolitan, torquoise and white two-tone.

Look very nice.
If at all possible, could you take some pics of the 2 speed steup. I have been looking non stop for various versions with a 2 speed transmission, but to no avail.

Pictures will not help you. This is not a 2 speed clutch/jackshaft set up. This is an actual separate 2 speed manual transmission with a manual clutch. The odd thing is that it is coupled to the engine with a centrifugal clutch. You use the manual clutch to get the trans into gear but the bike does not move when you release the clutch pedal, it only moves after you bring the RPM's up enough to engage the centrifugal clutch, very strange set-up but original from the factory. It is a hi/lo deal and I am not even sure if you are suppose to change gears on the "fly" Just learning about these thgings. I wish there were a good forum for Cushmans but there is not.