1959 3hp B&S 81302

Hello I pulled this little Briggs off of my 1960 Monkey Ward bike because it will not get spark and I got tired of fighting it. I have come back to it and want to put it back on because my 10 year old boy wants to build his own bike (he has some big ideas :) ) So here is the question: can I get a replacement coil for this engine or are there no parts to be had for these Briggs? I set the points and the flywheel spacing at .20 and still no spark so that is why I an thinking coil. Thoughts?

Thanks!
Jason
PA

I had put new point and a condenser in and I have not put many hours on them. I sanded them again tonight and made the gap .20. I also sanded and cleaned the flywheel, soldered a new spark plug wire on, and set the gap at .20 for the coil/flywheel. I wish there was a way to upgrade this engine to the magneto style so I don't have to worry about it anymore.

J

those old 4 bolt coils dont last forever. If you have a meter you can test the points for continuity. I think you can put a regular 2 bolt coil on and maybe even a magnetron but Its been a long time since iv worked on one so i forget. either way your not out of luck yet

The p/n for the magatron coil is 298274. But is no longer available. I have a 1974 2hp running a magatron coil so converting your motor to the new type ignition is no problem. Check with a local small engine repair shop for a used coil for testing. Try coil p/n 793281. Good Luck

Last edited:
has anyone used the Briggs and Stratton MEGA FIRE IGNITION kit to eliminate their points and condenser? I think I am going to give it a shot, for the $22 (plus the cost of a new coil) it is worth a shot I guess. I will post if everything works out.