1959 hillman husky trailer ?

KB2ROCKET

I have been considering turning this car into a travel trailer would the build thread be more appropriate in off topic or projects and rides?

I knew a guy that did it with a van and he hated it because it had too much tongue weight, a pickup bed trailer with a camper shell was what he ended up using for weekend getaways. Too much tongue weight or not enough can cause your tow vehicle to handle poorly. Ideally the tongue weight should be 10% of the total trailer weight, with the axle that far back it just can't happen.

KB2ROCKET

The idea is to use it to sleep in to offer more protection than a tent in a area chocked full of bears rattle snakes scorpions gila monsters mountain lions being the worst

My buddy in high school had a Hillman Husky. I believe the running gear was pretty much the same as a Sunbeam Alpine. Great looking profile. Please don't cut it up.

Building a teardrop would require less work believe it or not and would have a lot of resale ability. Destroying a good car would always be a cut up, butchered up destroyed car/trailer that nobody would like or want.

Find some teardrop plans on the internet and build something that will be functional and comfortable to use. Then tow it with the Hillman. Put a Toyota SR 22 or whatever their hot motor is with a matching 5 speed and have a lot more fun. Hell an old Mazda Rotary would scare the pants off of you if it is set up right. New a guy that had one in a 1959 Bug Eye Sprite. That thing was wicked fast and would turn almost 10,000 RPM's.

Doug

When you say convert to a trailer....I presume you mean that you'd tow it ? If so, I'd side with everyone else, in the interest of the car.

Now if you are talking a possible interior conversion that would allow you to drive the vehicle, and allow one person to sleep comfortably, without modifying the exterior...then I think you could accomplish your goal, and still preserve the vehicle..? (like a miniature class-b van camper...that sort of idea...they don't mess with the exterior typically)....:shrug:

It is a very cool looking car you have there. Whatever you do, enjoy it...:thumbsup:

Last edited: