1960s HOT SHOT MINI BIKE

Guy Wakefield raced a Hot Shot in 1969 at 7th street and Beardsley in North Phoenix. I watched him crash and split his upper lip wide open, he still won. Nobody else was even close. I was 12. I raced a 5 up twister (I still have it) in a beginner's class. I have a picture next to someone I believe was Guy's partner Callahan how I think was probably 20. Would like to buy a Hot Shot if one is available.

More info. My dad was good friends with Jim Tod who designed the Twister. Wakefield worked for Tod in the mid 60's. I still talk to Bob Tod who posts here. In 1970 there was a custom 8hp blue hot shot that was raffled off at the race at 7th and Beardsley. 2 years later I bought it from the person who won it. It needed work. I put on a brand new 8hp b&s. I rode the heck out of it. In the late 1990s it was sold while I was away in phoenix. I have tried to find it. It was blue. All fiberglass including the tank.

I have tried to reach out to those in this thread, kc57, rothwell, fordredneck, trotter. But guess they are all gone. I found an old trashed hot shot at Ron's place in Rye AZ but that old crazy man would not sell it. It was a mess, crushed tank bent forks, no motor, I offered him $400. It was hardly fixable.

Since then the place in Rye burned and all the decent bikes were sold to Bob's in phoenix. Anyway, i am looking for a decent hot shot that can be restored. Doesn't have to be perfect, straight frame, forks, with all the drive train and clutch and both rims, tank, clutch cover and rear fender. Paint or scratches or motor, handlebars, brakes levers throttle etc misc stuff not an issue.

Thanks Richard. That one was from my buddy Bob who I know. It is sold. It was all prettied up. I probably should have bought it. I would like to hear from guy wakefield's grandson. He said he had 4 of them , maybe he has one that is a project bike that he would sell.

It's good to hear stories like yours. I have been slacking for a few months but I was watching closely for a hotshot for a while. I bought a 750 that was known to have been with a hotshot fairly recently but it wasn't able to track it down.

So I have managed to get my dads twister fully running. It's a 6hp. Working now on my mom's it's a 5hp. Talked to Bob Tod and he told me the 5hp I have is really rate. His dad obly made a few and since his dad and my dad were good friends that would make sense. Still searching for that hot shot.

Richard, I will try to post some pictures this weekend. the B&G 5 hp motor was pretty stock, the carb on it is basic, the gas tank attaches to the carb below it. According to Bob Tod, this one is rare and was a custom build by his dad, apparently the 5 hp were built for the wives, my dad and him were good friends, i am not sure of its exact history. it has been in my family forever, my mom rode it. Is that Hot Shot with the Jlo yours? Are you interested in parting with it? J

So I have been doing well! I have managed to purchase a hot shot but I could use some help. KC57, Thanks for your input. I was wondering if those out there that have a hot shot can tell me how many teeth your front sprocket has? KC57 says his has 11, for some reason I thought stock was 13? Anyway if you can help please reply. I am in the need of a tank and a clutch cover. Plus I need to build the jack shaft and need a brake. Thanks J

I am looking for a Hot Shot gas tank. I prefer a fiberglass one, leaky or not would be okay with a metal one. I tried to get some info on who or where they got the fiberglass tank, clutch cover and fenders made but no kuck. I believe WaCal used a hap jones model 2690 metal tank and welded tabs on that. Let me know what you have or what you know. J

So I am making great progress on the tall frame Hot Shot restoration, frame is fully sand blasted and painted the stock silver which is the color they came from originally. I will hope to post some pictures soon. I am convinced this was one of the Manzanita Flat trackers based on many of the mods and upgrades to this bike and it came out of Phoenix. The original tank, fender and clutch cover was orange and I plan to return it to that color. It had about 4 different colors on it including the rattle can blue that the last owner did. I was fortunate to meet a new friend in Wisconsin named Tom. He hooked me up with a complete JLO 340 motor with a clutch, new seals that runs at an amazing fair price, thanks Tom! Some of my other “what I thought were new friends” are not returning my texts so I have moved on, life is too short. Anyway. I have gotten things mocked up well. Many replacements parts I have found new. I have learned much about this Hot Shot and consider myself pretty knowledgeable now. I spoke face to face with Dean Callahan’s son Mitch and he has been very helpful. I ordered a replica Hap Jones metal tank which is what WaCal used before making their fiberglass tank and it is perfect. I spoke to a company here in Phoenix and he helped me with making fiberglass clutch covers, the mold is ready and I plan to make parts here soon. I am still searching for a decent tire at a fair price. Miller tire is a bunch of crooks wanting replicas for $180 each with shipping…crazy. I have the second Hot Shot, a standard frame that I bought out of western Kansas, it needs a lot of work. It has a 230 JLO and I have a 8Hp Briggs also. That project will start in late spring.

Looking forward to pics, very cool project. What's your plan for an exhaust? This bike has a kawasaki engine but I think the Rockwell's had a similar tuner pipe.

Wow, I want it! Where is it? As far as exhaust, there is a huge salvage place in Phoenix, I have developed a good relationship with the owners son. He is working with me.