1961 Caper Cycle Falcon Resto

Well, everything original to the bike is about as good as it can get. I’ve got a few things to deal with on the frame regarding paint but that’s just me being me.
AE713D0E-0B2B-4682-B347-842D50B932FA.jpeg Waiting on new stuff like bearings, cables, tubes, jackshaft, chain, cogs, the repro decals. Then there’s a trip to the ole Serv-o-lite for some hardware just to keep my dads spirit in it…. And a seat but I’m not really in a rush for that. The one my dad made is fine till whenever that’s done.
D263C8E0-0EBA-415C-A92A-110A45B0458D.jpeg
The engine got ordered and here faster than I could keep up with things, fenders came out well though a bit more beat than I thought. The tank you’ve seen.
902F3D0E-4FF7-4C19-87CF-F3342DDD3E9E.jpeg
I built the throttle bracket and will forever be working on a different chain guard being that I want hens teeth. The exhaust is an original west bend lightning bolt and is well, a good 10 footer anyway. Lots of melting and sculpting went into that looking even was good as it does, the red lightning detracts a little from how mangled it is.

Otherwise, I should button it up as a runner in the next few weeks. Gotta take a break now as I’ve got some client work to get on but, I’m good where it is..

I’ll post about the decals when they come though. I got one metric sh**load of them so, hopefully someone wants em! I can’t imagine there’s that many left to be restored with that particular decal but, I dunno, maybe fix a windshield leak with them?

Well, I’d run into some issues with the last coat of paint.. for whatever reason, even after 48 hours or more, there was some wrinkling on the engine plate and the “foot peg” tube … so I took it all out and went at it with some wet/dry hoping I could just lay a polish on it after. Unfortunately, I didn’t remove any of the slag and imperfections that were left with it when they painted it in 61 so where there was that, I wore through the paint. So I just decided to take er down to where none of that was an issue and blow a couple more coats on
15BC0F5D-11CA-44E8-B854-2321D1EDCC79.jpeg 042C1646-CDF9-46AE-A879-EBC2A415233D.jpeg 335E63C4-108A-40D2-995B-240952E1A494.jpeg E4CF60C9-DD3A-481B-930A-A68794EDEBEF.jpeg
It’s acceptable from my standpoint… not as much so as the initial 3 coats I put on but, as Kenny Rogers said “gotta know when to hold ‘em, know when to fold em” and I’m really not too too good at that.
Anyway, there she sits. Gonna let her harden up, maybe throw a light cut polish at it … maybe not.. dump a bunch of wax on it and that’ll be that. As is said in the trade “good enough for the girls I go out with.”

i also pulled off a little more work on my throttle bracket
C2167D26-E4CB-4A71-8F1D-9F3D675A602A.jpeg I’m not gonna get much farther on that till it’s mounted but visually stuff aligns well enough for now.

So there’s a couple more hours there. I’m hoping I remember a few more things for tomorrow but honestly, I’m pretty sunk till the parts come through. Should likely put in some time with the Monaco… whole pile of hurt waiting for me there!

A true resto! You've got it really coming together nicely. You're breathing a whole new generation of life into that beauty!
Thanks man. That means a lot. She’s tentatively promised to a two year old who will likely turn out to be the biggest gear head in my family. It’d be totally worth it to see the bike widen the eyes of another kid as it did for me a billion years ago.

If I’m stupidly picky about anything, it’s tight measurements and paint. I don’t mean to beat a dead horse on this but, this is a 10 foot paint job on a Cadillac. I could stare at it all day long on a mini bike. This is about where my Grandfather would say “ON THAT PIECE O CRAP?” He wasn’t much for dressings.
71D11A83-E1D4-49A1-A445-60015C84A8CE.jpeg FA7A61F3-3C8E-4D31-BC55-C3B95F0DBF59.jpeg C2552986-4F09-4023-98B1-2AD51D625EFB.jpeg

Man that deep red really makes it look pro.
She looks a scosche darker in the Pics than she actually is. It’s actually just pre 84 IH red, like chemically and otherwise. I used the same paint on my tractor restoration (it’s a 59 Country Squire that’s the color I remember it being, not necessarily the color it was) though far more brutally. I’ve never actually tried to make implement paint look like anything other than it is … sticks to anything, solid color, can o goober. But I gotta say, it cleans up nice!

Not bad for a days work.
6B7E4BA9-D28F-4145-9A98-EB4FB616B449.jpeg 69806EBA-AFE7-4918-85F2-2FB2C6D64EB3.jpeg
to:
65FFA99F-9EA5-4876-A2FE-040F0DF1FBDC.jpeg D0EAFF62-546D-4590-9C13-B2923068B0BF.jpeg The jackshaft was a bit of an issue. The bores were not exactly aligned but there’s not much to be done about that. I can’t imagine it left the shop any differently, you’d bend the frame before you bent those. Kind of overestimated the engine mounting hardware as I wasn’t totally sure of the plate thickness. I’ll swap that out tomorrow. Got all my chain lines, bearings and everything set. Basically have to run the chain, run the cables, plumb the fuel and it should be a runner!

Minimichael

Well, that’s about as close as it gets before first fire. I’ll have to replace the brake cable in the short term as it’s pretty cobbled together, had to resize the barrel end and make a receiver cup for the handle end of the housing. It’s not every pretty at all but it’ll work for testing.

Should start it tomorrow!
View attachment 296328 View attachment 296329 View attachment 296330 View attachment 296331
Looking very sharp! I love the look of that engine. And the tank is a nice generous size. The cherry red pops against the silvers and greys very nicely too. Not sure what level of stock/original you're shooting for here... But are you sure it looked this good when you first got it? ;):p

Looking very sharp! I love the look of that engine. And the tank is a nice generous size. The cherry red pops against the silvers and greys very nicely too. Not sure what level of stock/original you're shooting for here... But are you sure it looked this good when you first got it? ;):p
I’m sure it didn’t! But it was 20 years old when I got it and had been ridden hard and put away wet. It’s just nice to see it fresh for the first time ever…. Well, you know. Save for a few little things I kept true to my father’s work on it.

Fired her off today. Man, if I’d had any idea what the correct motor for this was capable of in 1986, I’m pretty sure I’d be dead already. Brutal!
DF91F4BC-81CE-473D-9806-619A2F047978.jpeg My fixer upper exhaust didn’t work out paint wise but I’ll put the other back on and see what I can do with it… if nothing then I’ll just wait for the right one.

i SEM soaped the seat my dad made for the first ride. It’ll do till the right one comes through. Damn, what a BLAST!

Minimichael

Beautiful build! Im not one to get excited by some of these uber-accurate restorations, but that little guy is looking so slick, and so clean... Well let's just say now I want one for Christmas, too.

Great restore, great thread. Congratulations on your new lil' ripper..., I mean Caper!

Beautiful build! Im not one to get excited by some of these uber-accurate restorations, but that little guy is looking so slick, and so clean... Well let's just say now I want one for Christmas, too.

Great restore, great thread. Congratulations on your new lil' ripper..., I mean Caper!
Here’s to another 60 years for her! Thanks, man!