"1965 Skat Kitty"....Vintage Class

I'm entering this Skat Kitty in the OldMiniBikes 2012 Winter Build off. I believe it's a 1965 "C" series. It has the bolt on jack shaft and drum brake. I "picked" this bike out of a shed where it had spent the last 30 or so years. I'm really looking forward to restoring this bike and having it grace my garage (or living room) for years to come.

I've had some of the pieces media blasted. Frame, forks, chain guard, tank and rims. Sorry to all the paint guys but I have a great powder coater just a few miles from home. I'm not quite sure how to refinish the rims.
...or post pics for that matter.

Thanks chatten63. The rims are at the powder coaters right now. He has a nice chrome looking powder. The bearing hubs will be coated red. Hopefully I get the parts back tomorrow.

buckeye

Chatten63 is right for sure. Being a rookie, when I mounted the tires after respoking my powdercoated rims, not a chip one.

I've seen a sample of the chrome powder and it looks pretty good. He's also doing the poot pegs, brake parts, jack shaft, muffler brakcet and a few nuts and bolts. I'm hoping to have the frame and all parts back by Tuesday. Then I have to find a chrome refinisher somewhere to do the handlebars, neck, exhaust pipe, gas cap and tank straps. After that it's a few odd nuts and bolts and time to work on the engine. One thing I'll still need to get is a set of grips. The grips that came with it are pretty much hit. I'll post pics as soon as I get the parts back!

I got the parts back from the powder coater. Everything looks great except the frame. There are small pinholes everywhere. Looks like dog :censure: . Powder coater said the holes are from outgassing. I wish he'd told me about that "before" he coated the frame. I'm not sure if the coating can be blasted off without damaging it. The rest of the parts look awesome. Trying to upload pics...

looks good enough!! i wouldnt even bother trying to redo it. the work to get the metal clean again and then to have it recoated......ouch. I say run it. Unless you pointed it out i wouldnt have noticed. What causes this "outgasing"? any ideas?

The dimples on the chain guard are from rust damage. I can live with that. The problem I have is with the frame. You can't see the pinholes in the pictures. I'll try to take close up pics of the holes. The rims are the chrome powder and they look awesome. I'd like to have the frame redone if the coating can be removed without damage. And here I was wanting to apply the water transfer stickers I got from MiniBikePaul!

The dimples on the chain guard are from rust damage. I can live with that. The problem I have is with the frame. You can't see the pinholes in the pictures. I'll try to take close up pics of the holes. The rims are the chrome powder and they look awesome. I'd like to have the frame redone if the coating can be removed without damage. And here I was wanting to apply the water transfer stickers I got from MiniBikePaul!
You could search for someone local that has a chemical stripper B17 to dip it into. It would not hurt the frame. Soda blasting takes along time, and sand burns/warps. Have it dipped and have the job re-done if you can. I can tell it bothers you, or you would not have said anything.

Nice project. Those are beautiful little bikes.