1969 Briggs 3hp 80202

JohnC

Just curious would removing the governor on a stock 3hp cause oil to get by any where and smoke some when I hit the throttle. I had a great running 3hp and I removed the governor fins assembly and the head gasket I changed to just a new one. Now I start it up and she smokes out the pipe when I give is gas. It didn't do it before so curious if I caused the problem. I can see some oil on the piston there wasn't anything wet when I removed my pipe though? The compression is amazing. I changed the oil and turned the motor over which I figured was a mistake but I ran it for 2 or 3 mins like three times. Would it take longer to clean out?

Attachments

Last edited:

Addicted 2 Minis

Just curious would removing the governor on a stock 3hp cause oil to get by any where and smoke some when I hit the throttle. I had a great running 3hp and I removed the governor fins assembly and the head gasket I changed to just a new one. Now I start it up and she smokes out the pipe when I give is gas. It didn't do it before so curious if I caused the problem. I can see some oil on the piston there wasn't anything wet when I removed my pipe though? The compression is amazing. I changed the oil and turned the motor over which I figured was a mistake but I ran it for 2 or 3 mins like three times. Would it take longer to clean out?
These engines are splash lubricated, increase the RPM's and you increase the amount of oil splash. I bet the increased RPM's are causing more oil to get into the tappet/lifter area, then getting sucked in the engine through the crankcase ventilation tube. The crankcase vents through the tube that connects between the tappet/lifter cover and the carburetor. Remove your air filter and look in the carb for oil, that'l be the quickest way to see if oil is coming from the ventilation tube.

JohnC

There was oil in the vent tube and choke but it cleared out and I am assuming it was from turning the motor over because it doesn't smoke anymore. Thanks

JohnC

An I gave it some good full throttle so I'm assuming the governor wasn't the problem unless turning the motor over helped it get to the tube with the cause of more rpms. But I rev it up good now and and it might blow a little smoke but nothing different from it being like the carb was to rich and clears right up in a second. The smoke is just real quick and barley see it with your eye when before it was a cloud blowing Os out my pipe haha.